No. 9 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge Race Facts Driver: Kasey Kahne Team Director: Tommy Baldwin Team Owner: Ray Evernham Chassis: No. 45 Car Info: Finished third at Atlanta, 14th...
No. 9 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge Race Facts
Driver: Kasey Kahne
Team Director: Tommy Baldwin
Team Owner: Ray Evernham
Chassis: No. 45
Car Info: Finished third at Atlanta, 14th at Pocono from pole
Kasey Kahne Quotes
"We went to Watkins Glen to test (Monday), but we got rained out. I really needed the time on the track, so that's disappointing. We had to do some laps instead in our Dodge Ram rental van. It was pretty fast, it just doesn't handle quite the same on all those turns.
"I'm excited about going back to Pocono this weekend. We were pretty good there before and we qualified good, but I think we'll be a lot better this weekend. There's so much to learn about that track -- the difference in all the corners, the shifting -- that I think I'll be able to handle it better this time.
"As we come down to the final 10, every lap of every race really counts. We're starting to feel a lot of pressure. Tommy and I are focused on getting in the top 10, but we're also focused on doing the same things we've been doing each week. We really aren't going to change our strategy. We don't want to take any chances, but we've also got to be aggressive enough to go out there and bring home some top-five finishes that will get us into the chase.
"I hope drivers don't get overly aggressive as we get close to the cutoff for the championship. Guys have been driving pretty hard all year, but if people start taking out other cars on purpose so they -- or a teammate -- can move up in the points, that will be a bad thing. Everybody wants to compete for the title in those last 10 races, but everyone's still got to play fair.
"I like the ideas of the green-white-checker. I think that's what we've needed all season. I'm glad NASCAR did it. If we had the green-white-checked all season, I probably would have won a couple of races. Like Michigan, for example, where I just couldn't catch Ryan Newman."
STATS & FACTS
KASEY KAHNE AT POCONO
* This will be Kahne's second career NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series start at Pocono. He held the pole position for the Pocono 500 in June as he set a new track qualifying record and finished the race in 14th place. The team also tested at Pocono on June 3rd.
ADDING UP THE POINTS
* After racing at New Hampshire, Kahne remains 14th in the NASCAR Nextel Cup Series points standings. He is 162 points out of the top 10 and 295 points out of the top five. After 19 races, Kahne maintains a commanding 48-point lead in the Raybestos Rookie-of-the-Year standings.
FAST ON FRIDAYS
* Kahne earned his fourth pole (Las Vegas, Darlington, California, Pocono) and his second track qualifying record (Las Vegas, Pocono) at Pocono.
* Evernham Motorsports has set three track qualifying records this season (Kahne -- Las Vegas and Pocono, Mayfield -- Dover).
* Kahne, with four poles in 2004 is well on his way to challenging Ryan Newman's record six poles in a rookie season.
* Kahne tied Art Watts (1957) for the quickest any driver has reached four career poles -- 14 races.
A NEW LOOK FOR SUMMER
* The No. 9 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge will continue to run its new paint scheme this weekend in Pocono. The new scheme will run through the August 28th race in Bristol in support of Dodge's Summer Sales Drive.
GETTING OUT FRONT
* Kahne's 349 laps led are more than five times the combined amount of laps led by the five other 2004 Raybestos Rookie-of-the-Year candidates. Kahne's five top-five finishes this year rank first among all rookies -- his closest competitor having only one.