DAVID GILLILAND, YATES RACING No. 38 Digital TV Transition Ford Fusion David Gilliland on Phoenix: "Phoenix is one of those tracks that when we race there on later in the afternoon you have to prepare yourself for the changes as the sun begins...
DAVID GILLILAND, YATES RACING
No. 38 Digital TV Transition Ford Fusion
David Gilliland on Phoenix:
"Phoenix is one of those tracks that when we race there on later in the afternoon you have to prepare yourself for the changes as the sun begins to drop down behind the grandstands during the race. I remember the first time I ever raced at Phoenix and how difficult it was to drive without being able to see due to the sun being directly in your eyes as it set. I hadn't prepared myself enough. Since then I've learned to better prepare myself so that during the race I can adapt to the amount of light that is coming in through the windshield. I always enjoy going to Phoenix because I was able to win some races there early on in my career and I grew up watching some of my very first Cup series races there in person as well. It's a track and an area of the country that I always enjoy racing at."
Crew chief Cully Barraclough on Phoenix:
"Phoenix International Raceway is a very unique track and it has a few characteristics that will make racing there this weekend interesting. First of all, it is a flat track with very different corners at both ends. Our team's focus for this week will be making sure that our car set-up is flexible enough to accommodate the changes we'll face in track conditions throughout the weekend as well as Sunday afternoon. The teams that can adapt to those changing conditions and allow for the range in handling will be the ones who find success at Phoenix."
NOTES OF INTEREST:
* Gilliland will sign autographs at the Ford Racing merchandise trailer on Sunday, November 9th at 10:00 a.m.
* Gilliland will sign autographs at the Digital TV Transition display on Sunday, November 9th at 10:35 a.m.
* Gilliland has an average starting position of 30.2 and an average finish of 23.5 at Phoenix
* Gilliland has completed 1,242 of 1,248 career laps at Phoenix (99.5 percent) and has led for one lap
* Gilliland's career best start at Phoenix came in the 2006 Checker Auto Parts 500 (started 13th)
* Gilliland's best finish at Phoenix came in the 2008 Subway Fresh Fit 500 where he finished 15th
Chassis #579 is the chassis the No. 38 Digital TV Transition team will be running this weekend for the Checker Auto Parts 500 at Phoenix International Raceway. This is the same chassis the team ran at Loudon in September and finished 41st due to an accident.