UPS Racing Team Notes of Interest * Dale Jarrett and the ...
UPS Racing Team Notes of Interest
* Dale Jarrett and the #88 UPS Team has one win at the one-mile track in Phoenix, winning there in 1997. Jarrett came back from a lap down to win the event at Phoenix that season.
* This weekend is Jarrett's 20th career start at the "Desert Mile." Jarrett has competed in all Nextel Cup races that have taken place at Phoenix since the track joined the series circuit in 1988.
* Jarrett has led laps during five different races in his 19 starts at Phoenix for a total of 175 laps led.
* Jarrett is spending the week leading up to this weekend's race vacationing with his family in Los Angeles. The family is participating in quite a few activities including a trip to the popular FOX show American Idol on Tuesday, April 18th. Additionally, the Jarrett family will be stopping by the set of ABC's Grey's Anatomy through a casual friendship Jarrett has developed with actor Patrick Dempsey.
* Happy Birthday to the Yates brothers! Robert, owner of Robert Yates Racing, and his twin brother Richard, who is the chief financial officer for RYR, will celebrate their birthday on Wednesday, April 19th.
Dale Jarrett Discusses Racing at Phoenix International Raceway
What kind of hurtles does Phoenix International Raceway present?
"It's just so different than anything that we run. Trying to get off the corners there is the biggest thing that you have to do and carrying the speed through the straight-away but that starts back in the center of the corner and trying to get your car to carry speed through the center and then be able to get in the gas hard off of it. It's a fun race track to race on."
Is it exciting getting ready for the first night race of the season?
"It will be interesting to see how the transition from day to night goes this year. We don't have as much information on tires like we did in the past so that could be of some concern as we prepare for that this weekend but it will be a great show. I've said this before but everything seems to intensify under the lights and I'm sure this weekend will be no different."
How special is the Phoenix area for you?
"I get the question a lot of times about where I'd live if I couldn't live in my hometown of Hickory, N.C., and I usually say Phoenix. That's probably one of my favorite areas in the country. I love the weather out there. I'm a big golf fan and that's one of the few places where you can play golf year round. On top of that you have all the major sports there with football, basketball, baseball, hockey and of course racing. It's just a great part of the country and one where there's a lot to do and enjoy."
Chassis 68 is the car Jarrett will race this weekend at Phoenix. It is the same car Jarrett raced at Martinsville a few weeks ago. This will be the car's second career start.