Denny Hamlin Captures Four Contingency Awards In Michigan JGR Driver, No. 11 Team Take Home Second Consecutive Win And Race-High Four Awards CHARLOTTE, N.C. (June 16, 2010) -- After a stellar performance in Sunday's Heluva Good! Sour Cream...
Denny Hamlin Captures Four Contingency Awards In Michigan
JGR Driver, No. 11 Team Take Home Second Consecutive Win And Race-High Four Awards
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (June 16, 2010) -- After a stellar performance in Sunday's Heluva Good! Sour Cream Dips 400, Denny Hamlin and the No. 11 FedEx Toyota team visited Victory Lane for the second week in a row, picking up the race win and four post-race contingency awards including the Goodyear Gatorback Fastest Lap of the Race, MAHLE Clevite Engine Builder of the Race, Sunoco Diamond Performance, and WIX Filters Lap Leader of the Race awards.
The awards are part of the NASCAR Prize Money and Decal Program, also referred to as the contingency program, which provides teams prize money and weekly awards based on performance in several categories.
After qualifying seventh, Hamlin led the 400-mile event four times for 123 laps, including 83 of the last 87, to record his series-high fifth win of the season.
Hamlin, who turned the fastest lap of the race at 183.351 mph on Lap 188, captured his second Goodyear Gatorback Fastest Lap of Race award of the season.
With a powerful engine under-the-hood, Mark Cronquist, chief engine builder for the No. 11 Fed Ex Toyota and his team was awarded the MAHLE Clevite Engine Builder of the Race honor, the fourth of the season, which is given weekly based on qualifying and finishing position.
"Putting a winning race car together really starts back at the shop and it's certainly nice when you get the type of results on the track that we've been able to lately," said Cronquist. "The MAHLE Clevite Engine Builder of the Race award is really a reflection of all the hard work that goes into it and I'm proud of our guys in the engine department as well as everyone at JGR from the shop and at the track that make it all come together."
As the highest finishing eligible driver, Hamlin picked up his fifth Sunoco Diamond Performance award of the year, and also won his fourth WIX Filters Lap Leader of the Race award for most laps led (123 laps) during the event.
"It's a great accomplishment to win on so many different race tracks," said Hamlin during his post-race conference. "To be able to unload and know you're going to be competitive for a race win week in and week out gives you a lot of confidence. For the first time really in my career, I feel like we're at this place."
Hamlin's win, the 13th of his career, marks Joe Gibbs Racing's 84th NASCAR Sprint Cup Series victory, fifth at Michigan and seventh in 2010. Heading into to this weekend's Toyota/Save Mart 350 at Infineon Raceway, Hamlin sits third in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series point standings.
Official winners of this week's NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Prize Money & Decal Program special awards include:
* COORS LIGHT POLE AWARD: Kurt Busch (189.984 mph, 37.898 sec.)
* DIRECTV CREW CHIEF OF THE RACE AWARD: Kenny Francis (crew chief for Kasey Kahne)
* GOODYEAR GATORBACK BELTS FASTEST LAP AWARD: Denny Hamlin (183.351 mph, Lap 188)
* MAHLE CLEVITE ENGINE BUILDER OF THE RACE AWARD: Mark Cronquist (JGR No. 11)
* MOBIL 1 "COMMAND PERFORMANCE DRIVER OF THE RACE" AWARD: Kurt Busch
* MOOG CHASSIS PARTS PROBLEM SOLVER OF THE RACE AWARD:Darian Grubb (crew chief for Tony Stewart)
* O'REILLY AUTO PARTS POSITION IMPROVEMENT AWARD: Matt Kenseth (25 places)
* RAYBESTOS ROOKIE OF THE RACE AWARD: Kevin Conway
* SUNOCO DIAMOND PERFORMANCE AWARD: Denny Hamlin
* TISSOT "PIT ROAD PRECISION" AWARD: Kurt Busch (210.809 sec.)
* WIX FILTERS LAP LEADER AWARD: Denny Hamlin (123 laps)