* Ryan Newman, driver of the Penske Racing No. 12 Alltel Dodge Charger, has two wins, one pole, four top-five and four top-10 finishes in 13 NASCAR Cup Series starts at Michigan International Speedway (MIS). * Newman holds the qualifying record...
* Ryan Newman, driver of the Penske Racing No. 12 Alltel Dodge Charger, has two wins, one pole, four top-five and four top-10 finishes in 13 NASCAR Cup Series starts at Michigan International Speedway (MIS).
* Newman holds the qualifying record at MIS. Newman turned the quickest lap on record at the two-mile track at 194.232 miles per hour.
* Newman won back-to-back races at MIS in August 2003 and June 2004.
* Newman has two NASCAR Nationwide Starts at Michigan and he was victorious in both of those races (August 2001, August 2005). In the 2001 race, Newman had a dominant race car - he started on the outside pole, led 119 of 125 laps and won the race.
* Instead of taking the green flag on Friday, Newman will be the honorary starter of the 100-lap Racing for Wildlife 200 ARCA race at MIS, which is scheduled for a 5:15 p.m. EDT start. Newman will serve as a guest announcer in the SPEED booth during the race and he also will present the trophy in Victory Lane.
The race entitlement is a joint venture with The Conservation Fund and the Ryan Newman Foundation, which formed Racing for Wildlife in 2007. That partnership is a first-of-its-kind initiative that invites sports fans, race sponsors and other conservation-minded individuals to join Newman and The Conservation Fund to save America's scenic lands.
RACING AT MICHIGAN: "I used to go to Michigan as a fan when I was a kid, so it's pretty cool to come back here doing what I love to do. It has been a track that has been good to us in the past, so I'm looking forward to the race. Michigan is a great track to drive because it is so wide. There's normally great racing with cars going two and three wide. We'll have to see how the new car does there."
RACING ON FATHER'S DAY: "My dad (Greg Newman) said that Father's Day came early for him this year when we won the Daytona 500. I think in his eyes, every win is a gift and he treasures it. It's pretty unique to have my father as my spotter. He's been spotting for me in the Cup Series since 2006 and he did my Nationwide races for me in 2005. I tell everyone that it has been a series of high fives and arguments ever since he started spotting for me. But in reality, it just makes sense to have him as my spotter because he knows me and my racing style better than anyone else. He's been with me for every step of my career since I was four-and-a-half and just starting to race quarter-midgets. I would really like to give him a Father's Day present on Sunday -- and the best one I could give him would be a win at Michigan."
RACING AT MICHIGAN: "Michigan is a great track because it has long sweeping corners which helps to promote some really good racing. It will be interesting to see how the new car performs there this weekend. Ryan has done really well in qualifying there in the past. We have learned that track position is very important especially this year, so we are hoping to continue his strong qualifying efforts. The key to being competitive at Michigan is handling -- especially in turns two and three. The car can't get too tight off two or be too loose off three. We'd like to have a solid run there this weekend and get back in the top 12 in points."
PRS-558: The No. 12 Alltel Dodge is the same car that Newman drove to a fourth-place finish at Texas Motor Speedway earlier this season. It was the backup car for the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte and the Best Buy 400 at Dover.
PRS-561: The backup No. 12 Alltel Dodge this weekend is the car that Newman piloted at Richmond International Raceway. Newman started 10th and finished sixth in that race.
6/13: Ryan Newman will be on hand in Michigan International Speedway's Victory Lane for a special press conference about the Mill Lake Youth Camp Racing for Wildlife project at 9:45 a.m. EDT.
6/13: Newman will be the honorary starter for the Racing for Wildlife 200 ARCA race at MIS. He will wave the green flag at approximately 5:15 p.m. EDT.
6/14: Newman will sign his book, Pit Road Pets, which benefits the Ryan Newman Foundation, at the Meaty Bone tent at 10 a.m. EDT in the Juniper Hills Campground located across from the track.