KASEY KAHNE QUOTES "Michigan is a great track for me. I've always liked it. I've run there twice in a Busch car. Last year I started on the pole and finished second. You can run high there, which I like, but, you have to keep up with the ...
KASEY KAHNE QUOTES
"Michigan is a great track for me. I've always liked it. I've run there twice in a Busch car. Last year I started on the pole and finished second. You can run high there, which I like, but, you have to keep up with the track. It's going to be a good race, and fuel mileage will be really important. Even more important will be that we are good on our final run and avoid any problems."
"We're running a special paint scheme at Michigan -- the Fueled by Dew Dodge. It's pretty cool. The car is green and black with a little bit of red and so is my uniform. Maybe the Dew paint scheme will give us a little extra fuel for those long green runs you have at Michigan."
STATS & FACTS
KASEY KAHNE AT MICHIGAN
* This weekend will mark Kahne's first NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series start at Michigan.
* Kahne has made two Busch Series starts at Michigan. He started on the pole and finished second in August of last year. He started 11th and finished 10th in 2002.
FAST ON FRIDAYS
* Kahne earned his series-leading fourth pole (Las Vegas, Darlington, California, Pocono) and his second track qualifying record (Las Vegas, Pocono) last weekend at Pocono. His 11.79 average starting position ranks sixth on the NEXTEL Cup circuit after 14 races.
QUALIFYING RECORD HUNT
* Kahne earned his fourth Bud Pole Award of 2004 at Pocono, putting him well on his way to challenging Ryan Newman's record six poles in a rookie season.
* Last weekend, Kahne tied Art Watts (1957) for the quickest that a driver has reached his fourth career pole (14 races).
ADDING UP THE POINTS
* After racing at Pocono, Kahne is 13th in the NASCAR Nextel Cup Series points standings. He is 23 points out of the top 10, and 203 points out of the top five. After 14 races, Kahne maintains a commanding 40-point lead in the Raybestos Rookie-of-the-Year standings.
EVERNHAM DODGES TO BE "FUELED BY DEW"
* Kasey Kahne, Jeremy Mayfield and Evernham Motorsports will unveil their "Fueled by Dew Dodges," the special Mountain Dew paint schemes for the No. 9 that Kasey will race in the DHL 400 on June 20 at Michigan International Speedway, and the No. 19 that Jeremy will race at the last Mountain Dew Southern 500 on November 14 at Darlington Raceway. The unveiling will take place this Friday, June18, at 9:30 a.m. in garage #1 at Michigan Int'l Speedway.
LAST WEEKEND AT POCONO
* Starting from the pole, Kahne battled extremely tight driving conditions on Sunday, and was forced to implement a series of rear chassis adjustments that would help bring his Dodge around to become one of the most competitive cars of the day. Kahne cracked the top 10 on lap 117 after a lightening-quick green flag pit stop, and he re-joined the top five race leaders just 10 laps later. However, trouble struck when Kahne was forced up into the turn three wall as he passed the No. 88 car on lap 134. His Dodge sustained minimal damage but required repairs to the right front fender. Kahne completed a pit stop immediately before a caution on lap 156, and avoided being lapped before the field was frozen. He assumed the lead position on lap 161, but was forced to put for further repairs over the course of four green flag runs (none of which would last longer than five laps). Without the necessary time to mount a run in his repaired Dodge, Kahne finished the race running 14th under a yellow-checkered flag.