NOTES: * This Week's Race Car at Michigan International Speedway (Chassis No. 106) raced as the No. 30 AOL Chevrolet Monte Carlo in the 2003 spring races at Las Vegas and Darlington, and the Fall race at Richmond. The car has since been ...
* This Week's Race Car at Michigan International Speedway (Chassis No. 106) raced as the No. 30 AOL Chevrolet Monte Carlo in the 2003 spring races at Las Vegas and Darlington, and the Fall race at Richmond. The car has since been re-configured to meet the 2004 NASCAR regulations and was raced only one time earlier this year by Gordon at Texas Motor Speedway (started 18th and finished 23rd).
* Testing it out ... Gordon and the No. 31 Cingular Wireless team tested at Michigan on April 20 and 21.
* Gordon has a history at MIS ... Gordon has two IROC top-fives at MIS, with a second-place finish in July 1997 (after starting from the 11th position) and a fourth-place finish in August 1996. Gordon also has four CART Series starts at MIS with his best finish being eighth place in July 1996.
* Burton makes RCR debut ... After announcing last weekend he will take over the wheel of the No. 30 AOL Chevrolet for Richard Childress Racing, Jeff Burton will make his debut as a full-time driver for the 35-year old racing organization this weekend.
* Play it again, Kerry ... Kerry Earnhardt will return to MIS this weekend to make up for lost time, working to qualify the No. 33 Bass Pro Shops Chevrolet for Sunday's 400-mile race. Earnhardt attempted to make the NASCAR June race at MIS, but was sent home after failing to qualify.
* Double time again this weekend ... Gordon will run his No. 55 Fruit of the Loom Chevrolet Monte Carlo in the Cabela' s 250 NASCAR Busch Series race Saturday at MIS. The race is scheduled to start at 1 p.m. EDT and will be broadcast live on TNT, MRN and XM Radio. Gordon is currently 21st in the Busch Series standings.
* Tripleheader next weekend ... Gordon will compete in all three NASCAR Series events next weekend at Bristol Motor Speedway, starting Wed., August 25, with the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series O'Reilly 200. Gordon will pilot the No. 47 George Thorogood "Bad to the Bone" Silverado for Morgan Dollar Motorsports. Then, on Fri., August 27, Gordon will driver his No. 55 Fruit of the Loom Chevrolet for Robby Gordon Motorsports in the NASCAR Busch Series Food City 250, and will wrap up the weekend Saturday night racing in the NASCAR Cup Series Sharpie 500 in the No. 31 Cingular Wireless Chevrolet for RCR.
* Watch and listen ... the GFS Marketplace 400 NASCAR Cup race is scheduled to start at 2 p.m. EDT Sun., August 22, and will be broadcast LIVE on TNT, MRN and XM Radio. Qualifying for the GFS Marketplace 400 is scheduled to start at 3:10 p.m. EDT on Fri., August 20, and will broadcast LIVE on SPEED, MRN and XM Radio.
Team Cingular Quotes:
Robby Gordon on racing at Michigan International Speedway:
"We had a great qualifying effort at Michigan in June and had a great Cingular Wireless Chevrolet to boot. There was a little bit of a rough transition from qualifying trim to race trim, but by the time we finished up practice on Saturday we were good to go.
"Then, I made a wrong move on the first lap and got into the No. 77. That setback pretty much set the pace for us the rest of the race. The guys did a great job repairing the car and getting me back out there. It was just a very disappointing race, especially after qualifying so well and then having to turn around and leave on such a different note was tough. We had a good race car, too. I don't know how they did it. Even after that early spin, they replaced the majority of the front of the car and had me back out running competitive laps. We just lost too much ground in the middle of everything.
"We're not taking the same car that we raced in June back to Michigan, but we're taking a car that couldn't be anymore similar. It's a really fast car and the same car we raced at Texas earlier this year."