JEREMY MAYFIELD QUOTES "We know what we have to do -- keep our consistency and not change anything we've been doing. We're getting better as a team along the way. Right now, we want to maintain what we have going on and not panic and not get...
JEREMY MAYFIELD QUOTES
"We know what we have to do -- keep our consistency and not change anything we've been doing. We're getting better as a team along the way. Right now, we want to maintain what we have going on and not panic and not get in a situation where we make a lot of changes. Everybody is really working together now, jelling together better than we every have been.
"We realize what the big picture is. We didn't panic at Watkins Glen when the caution came out and messed our whole strategy up. We kept digging, did what we had to do and almost worked our way back to the top 10 (Mayfield finished 11th). When you have an 11th-place car, you try to finish in the top 10 with it, but if you can't you take 11th. You want to hold on to what you have and not finish 15th or 20th with it. That's what we've done all year. We've taken our decent days and made them better.
"We did test at Michigan and had probably one of the best tests we've ever had. That's encouraging to me because that's the type of tracks that we kind of struggled with early in the year. I feel like we're really getting a handle on those now, especially the with the way we ran at Indy and the test at Michigan. We should be in great shape at Michigan, probably better than we've ever been there before.
"We really haven't talked about the Chase that much...like we've got six races left, five races. We're focusing on what we have to do that week. It's been really cool. I remember this time last year, man we were all under pressure, under the gun. We're not racing like that right now. We're racing like we've got to win the race and there's no tomorrow every week. We've been doing that. I know there's four weeks left, but we've got to get all we can every week no matter what.
"Anything can happen. We're doing our best to hold on to what we've got and we'll keep digging."
STATS & FACTS
JEREMY MAYFIELD AT MICHIGAN
* Mayfield has made 22 starts at Michigan with two top-fives and three top-10s at the track. His best finish of fourth came at the track in 2001(a). He earned his best start of fifth in 2005(a) and 1999(b). Mayfield tallied 85 of his 88 laps led at Michigan in the 2000(a) race, before suffering from an engine failure.
* Mayfield has posted three consecutive top-10 starts at Michigan -- he earned his 10th top-10 start at the track this spring. Mayfield has accumulated 10 top-10 starts in 2005.
* Mayfield has a 19.1 average finish at Michigan International Speedway.
MAYFIELD SURGES TO SEVENTH IN POINTS RACE
* Mayfield is on pace to repeat as a 'Chase' contender in 2005. He surged to seventh in the points standings after racing at Watkins Glen, and he's currently eight points from the sixth spot.
* Mayfield's current point total of 2,684 is 28 points ahead of his total after 22 races in 2004. Mayfield qualified for the 2004 Chase for the Nextel Cup by just 22 points after a thrilling victory at Richmond.
* The last time Mayfield ranked seventh or higher after at least 22 races was in 1998. Mayfield ranked as high as sixth after racing at Watkins Glen that year, and he finished the season in seventh place.
LEAVING NOTHING ON THE TABLE
* Mayfield ranks second on the Nextel Cup circuit in laps completed (99.3%) among drivers who have competed in every race this year. Mayfield has finished 15 of 22 races on the lead lap, and he has only one DNF in 2005.
2005 CAREER BESTS
* Mayfield's fourth place finish at Indianapolis this month was a career-high finish at the historic track. Mayfield also notched a career-best finish at Talladega when he finished fourth there in April, and he tied his career-best seventh place finish at Infineon Raceway in June.