Michigan International Speedway News and Notes * Blaney's No. 22 Camry...The Caterpillar Racing team plans to utilize chassis No. 109, a brand new car, for this weekend's event at Michigan International Speedway. * Blaney's ...
Michigan International Speedway News and Notes
* Blaney's No. 22 Camry...The Caterpillar Racing team plans to utilize chassis No. 109, a brand new car, for this weekend's event at Michigan International Speedway.
* Blaney's Career Stats...Dave Blaney hopes to make his 256th career NASCAR Nextel Cup Series start when the green flag waves Sunday. He made his first career Cup Series start in October 1992 at [Rockingham] North Carolina Speedway and finished 33rd after qualifying 21st for his first Cup Series start at Michigan in 1999. Like this weekend, Blaney was aboard a Bill Davis Racing-owned machine.
* Blaney at Michigan...Blaney has made 15 starts on the two-mile track during his Cup Series career, starting as high as fourth and finishing as high as sixth, both in 2001. Eight of those starts have been behind the wheel of a Bill Davis Racing entry. Blaney has scored two top-10 finishes and four top-15 finishes in Cup Series competition at the Brooklyn, Mich., track.
* BDR at MIS...Competitors driving Bill Davis Racing-owned Cup cars have been racing at the track since 1993 and have made 40 starts. Those drivers have posted two top-five finishes and eight top-10 finishes. The team also earned two pole positions in Nextel Cup competition at Michigan.
* Dirt Track Fun...Blaney will play host to several of his Nextel Cup Series competitors Tuesday at Sharon Speedway in Hartford, Ohio, for the "NASCAR Duel on the Sharon Speedway Dirt." Scheduled participants include Tony Stewart, Kevin Harvick and Clint Bowyer. The racers will drive e-mods on the 3/8-mile dirt track.
* Bring Your Sharpie...Blaney will sign autographs at the Caterpillar souvenir trailer Sunday morning. Stop by the Cat souvenir trailer or visit www.daveblaney.com for updates and additional information.
* Michigan's Broadcast Schedule...Qualifying for Sunday afternoon's event is scheduled for Friday, Aug. 17. The 200-lap event is scheduled to start at 2 p.m. ET Sunday, Aug. 19, and will broadcast LIVE on ESPN (TV), MRN (radio) and Sirius Satellite Radio.
Blaney's Thoughts on the Weekend..."We've been in a precarious position for the last couple of weeks, being right there on the bubble of the top 35 in owners' points, and we knew we couldn't make any mistakes or have any problems if we wanted to stay there. Unfortunately, that's exactly what happened last weekend in Watkins Glen, and once again, we find ourselves on the outside looking in. It will be another stressful Friday this weekend in Michigan, but our Caterpillar Camry ran well all weekend there back in June, and I'm confident we can get it done again. Obviously we'll utilize everything we learned the last time we were there and apply it wherever we can this weekend. Going back to these tracks for the second time should really help us right off the truck.
"We're heading there with every intention of chasing that No. 21 car down and getting ourselves back into the top 35, so we'll need to get in a good qualifying lap and hope we don't run into any problems during the race. I like the track in Michigan. It's a great place to race -- big and fast and wide -- and we'll do everything we need to do this weekend to make sure we leave there exactly where we need to be."