Texaco/Havoline Team Facts: * Standings: Casey Mears and the Texaco/Havoline team dropped to 15th in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup standings after finishing 43rd at Pocono Raceway last weekend. It was the first finish outside the top 30 for Mears ...
Texaco/Havoline Team Facts:
* Standings: Casey Mears and the Texaco/Havoline team dropped to 15th in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup standings after finishing 43rd at Pocono Raceway last weekend. It was the first finish outside the top 30 for Mears this season. The team now sits 161 points out of the 10th position.
* Father's Day: Casey Mears will be celebrating Father's Day with his dad Roger by his side. Roger drives Casey's motorhome and offers continued support to his son each week. Roger is a famed off-road racer who has won the Baja 1000 four times and is a five-time class champion in the Pike's Peak Hill Climb. Roger has also run several Indy car events, including the Indy 500.
* Michigan stats: Mears will be making his seventh NEXTEL Cup start at Michigan International Speedway this weekend in the 3M Performance 400. His best finish at the 2-mile track is 14th which he earned last fall. In the June race in 2005, Mears sat on the outside pole before a miscue on pit road dropped him back to 21st. He also captured the pole and the win in the ARCA RE/MAX Series race at Michigan in June of 2003.
* Chassis: Crew chief Donnie Wingo and the Texaco/Havoline team will compete with chassis #401 for the race at Michigan. Mears drove this chassis at California, Las Vegas, Texas and Dover already this season where he finished seventh, ninth, 14th and 21st respectively.
* Help us Celebrate: The 2007 season will mark Texaco/Havoline's 20th year as a sponsor in NASCAR. From Davey Allison to Mears, Texaco/Havoline has a rich history in the sport. To commemorate its history, Texaco/Havoline is printing a one-of-a-kind book filled with photos and stories submitted by fans, drivers, crew members and media. Fans can submit their favorite story, interesting tale or special moment in their life involving the Texaco/Havoline race team at www.texacohavoline42.com or by calling 800-518-0028 through the end of July.
Casey Mears Quotes:
"The last few races haven't gone exactly as we hoped. But the encouraging part is that it wasn't because we haven't had fast cars. The entire Texaco/Havoline team really wanted to capitalize on my strong tracks like Charlotte and Pocono, instead we took a big hit in the points. The things that happened in the 600 and last weekend didn't reflect on how good this team has been over the last few weeks. We started out strong because we were more prepared this year than we have ever been. We hit what you can call a slump, but as Donnie and I continued to work on our communication it has turned around and it started in Charlotte.
"Now I'm looking to Michigan and Sonoma to boost us back up in the points. It's Father's Day and my dad will be by my side, so it doesn't get any better than that. I've run well at Michigan in the past and I hope we get things going in the right direction this weekend."