Event: Las Vegas
Martin Truex Jr. NAPA AUTO PARTS Toyota finished sixth and is now seventh in points
· David Reutimann TUMS Toyota finished 13th and is tied for 24th in points.
Martin Truex Jr. Race Summary: No. 56 NAPA AUTO PARTS Toyota driver Martin Truex Jr. finished sixth in Sunday’s NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. The Michael Waltrip Racing driver started ninth and shot to the front of the field racing in the top five for much of the second half of the 400-mile race. Sunday’s career-best finish in Las Vegas moved Truex from 16th to seventh in the standings. The Sprint Cup Series returns to action on March 20 at Bristol Motor Speedway.
· Truex started ninth and finished sixth
· Raced as high as second in the second half of the race.
· Sixth-place finish a career best at Las Vegas - previous best was 12th in 2007.
· Truex led two laps today and has led 19 laps in the first three races in 2011.
· Fell to from third to eighth after taking four tires during a pit stop with 23 laps remaining and climbed to sixth in the closing laps.
TRUEX QUOTE: “This NAPA team has been on it this year. We really hit on some things at the end of last season. The communication is going great, (Engineer) Chad (Johnson) and I are really on the same page as far as getting the car setup. We had good practices all weekend and that comes after we had a good run last week. It’s just been good – the communication has been going really well and we’re building a lot better race cars. He’s really learning what I need in them -- there's going to be a lot more of these kinds of finishes this year.”
DAVID REUTIMANN SUMMARY: No. 00 TUMS Toyota driver David Reutimann finished 13th in Sunday’s NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. The Michael Waltrip Racing driver started 25th but used some pit strategy to quickly climb to the front of the field. Reutimann overcame an untimely caution while he was making a green flag pit stop and an extra stop late in the race. The finish moves Reutimann from 31st to a tie for 24th in the standings. The Sprint Cup Series returns to action on Sunday March 20 at Bristol Motor Speedway.
· Reutimann started 25th and finished 13th
· Stayed on the track and moved to the front of the field after first caution.
· Overcame trips to the rear of the field when caution flew while he was making a green flag stop and an extra stop late in the race.
· Led a lap with 23 laps remaining during a pit cycle.
· Moved from 20th to 13th in the final 20 laps.
REUTIMANN QUOTES: “We had a fast TUMS Toyota today, but every time it seemed like we were going to break into the top five something put us back. We kept battling back and ended up with a decent finish. It isn’t what we wanted or think we deserved but it moved us up in points and we’ll try to gain even more at Bristol. We’re turning this thing around. Bristol was great to us last year and I think that will be true again this year.”