Gordon Has Statistical Edge In Martinsville Chase Race MARTINSVILLE, VA (September 12, 2006) -- Jeff Gordon is the reigning King of Martinsville Speedway, and at least on paper, that should give him a huge advantage when the Chase for the NEXTEL...
Gordon Has Statistical Edge In Martinsville Chase Race
MARTINSVILLE, VA (September 12, 2006) -- Jeff Gordon is the reigning King of Martinsville Speedway, and at least on paper, that should give him a huge advantage when the Chase for the NEXTEL Cup visits Martinsville Speedway for the SUBWAY 500 on October 22.
Gordon has made 27 NEXTEL Cup starts at Martinsville. He's won seven of those, more than any other active driver. His average finish is 7.8 over those 27 Martinsville starts. He has finished in the top 10 21 times at the historic half-mile.
The field for The Chase for the NEXTEL Cup was pared to 10 drivers after Saturday's Chevy Rock and Roll 400 at Richmond International Raceway. The championship will be determined among Matt Kenseth, Jimmy Johnson, Kevin Harvick, Kyle Busch, Denny Hamlin, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Mark Martin, Jeff Burton, Gordon and Kasey Kahne over the next 10 races.
The SUBWAY 500 is the sixth stop and only short-track race in the Chase for the NEXTEL Cup.
Only four of the Chase contenders -- Gordon, Johnson, Burton and Martin -- have Martinsville victories. Martin has won twice at Martinsville while Burton and Johnson have one win apiece.
Kenseth, who leads the NEXTEL Cup points headed into this weekend's first Chase race at New Hampshire, does not have a Martinsville top-five finish in 13 starts, but does have three top 10s.
Following is a brief statistical breakdown of the drivers in Chase For The NEXTEL Cup at Martinsville Speedway:
* Matt Kenseth: Thirteen Martinsville starts; 0 top fives; 3 top 10s; 40 laps led.
* Jimmy Johnson: Nine Martinsville starts; 1 win; 5 top fives; 7 top 10s; 263 laps led
* Kevin Harvick: Ten Martinsville starts; 3 top 10s.
* Kyle Busch: Three Martinsville starts; 1 top 5; two top 10s
* Denny Hamlin: Two Martinsville starts; 1 top 10.
* Dale Earnhardt Jr: Thirteen Martinsville starts; 6 top fives; six top 10s; 14.2 average finish
* Mark Martin: 41 Martinsville starts; 2 wins; 11 top fives; 21 top 10s; 318 laps led.
* Jeff Burton: Twenty-five Martinsville starts; 1 win; 8 top fives; 13 top 10s; 13.9 average finish.
* Jeff Gordon: Twenty-seven Martinsville starts; 7 wins, 14 top 5s; 21 top 10s; 7.8 average finish
* Kasey Kahne: Five Martinsville starts; 1 top 5; 1 top 10.
Tickets for both the SUBWAY 500 on Sunday, October 22, and the Kroger 200 NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series race, on Saturday, October 21, are on sale and can be purchased by calling 1.877.RACE.TIX. SUBWAY 500 tickets may also be purchased online at www.racetickets.com. For race information, please visit www.martinsvillespeedway.com.
Ticket prices for the SUBWAY 500 range from $42 to $77. Tickets for the Kroger 200 are $35 in advance and $40 the day of the event. Kroger 200 tickets for children ages 6 to 12 are $5.
The SUBWAY 500 weekend kicks off on October 20 with time trials for both the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series and the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series.
-credit: martinsville speeway