JACK SPRAGUE ON THE VIRGINIA 500... "We tested at Martinsville and we were pretty happy with the car. We came off the truck fast and we were really fast for both days of testing. I really didn't think a Cup car could drive like that. We had ...
JACK SPRAGUE ON THE VIRGINIA 500...
"We tested at Martinsville and we were pretty happy with the car. We came off the truck fast and we were really fast for both days of testing. I really didn't think a Cup car could drive like that. We had a really good car and Martinsville isn't one of my favorite racetracks. I had a lot of fun testing there. We should get there, be ready to go and pretty competitive right off the truck, which is something we need right now."
SPRAGUE ON THE ADDITION OF TONY FURR...
"I think it's going to help us tremendously. He was there three or four days and we went to Martinsville and tested with him and Dennis Connor (Sprague's crew chief) and they compliment each other a lot. What one didn't think of, the other one would. I think it will only get better as time goes on with Tony. He really hasn't had a lot to do with these cars yet. I think it's something that we needed to do to get on track. He and Dennis seem to be working really well together and that's what we need. Everybody needs to work well together and fight back out of this hole we're in and run good. We are capable of running well. I think everybody knows that. You don't win the races that we've won and the championships we've won in the series that we've won them and not be able to do this. We just have to get our cars better and we're heading that way."
MARTINSVILLE FAST FACTS
* The 2003 Virginia 500 will be Jack Sprague's first NASCAR Winston Cup race at Martinsville Speedway.
* Sprague's most recent Martinsville appearance came in the 2001 Truck Series race. He started 8th and finished 20th.
* Sprague has finished all 11 races he has competed in at Martinsville except for his most recent outing, the 2001 Advance Auto Parts 250. Sprague retired early with engine failure in that event.
* Sprague made his initial Martinsville appearance in the 1990 Zerex 150 Busch Series event starting 21st and finishing 20th.
* Sprague is a three-time NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series champion (1997, 1999, 2001).
* Sprague is currently in 38th in the 2003 NASCAR Winston Cup point standings.
* Sprague is a 2003 NASCAR Winston Cup Raybestos Rookie of the Year candidate and currently holds down fourth place in the overall standings.