Johnson confident Martinsville will be better the second time around Rear gear failure left Team Lowe's Racing with a 34th place finish in first event MARTINSVILLE, Vir. (Oct. 15, 2002) - Team Lowe's Racing is entering Martinsville after...
Johnson confident Martinsville will be better the second time around
Rear gear failure left Team Lowe's Racing with a 34th place finish in first event
MARTINSVILLE, Vir. (Oct. 15, 2002) - Team Lowe's Racing is entering Martinsville after posting a solid sixth place finish last Sunday on its home racetrack, Lowe's Motor Speedway. Johnson improved to second overall in the NASCAR Winston Cup standings, just 97 points out of first place.
Jimmie Johnson on racing at Martinsville Speedway
"Martinsville Speedway is going to be a challenge for Team Lowe's Racing, but one that I know we are up for. Last race there, we were on our way to a top 10 finish, when we lost a rear gear. If this team can be consistent, not encounter any problems on the track or in the pits, we will have a solid run and be happy at the end of the day.
Johnson on short track racing
"I really enjoy racing on the short tracks. This season, we've had kind of a mixed bag of results on these types of tracks. The guys have done a great job giving me strong race cars, but we just haven't had the luck. I think our run at Bristol earlier in the year was a good indication of how we can run on the short tracks. We finished in the top 10 and had probably a top five race car. We encountered bad luck last time at Martinsville with the rear gear problem and have been involved in some accidents on the other short tracks that prevented us from showing how good we really were. I'm pretty excited to get back to that style of racing and showing how good this Lowe's team can be. "
Jimmie Johnson Fast Facts
* Ranks second in the Winston Cup Series championship standings, 97 points behind the leader
* Is the first Raybestos Rookie contender to lead the Winston Cup points race
* Has won three NASCAR Winston Cup races this season (California, Dover - Spring and Fall)
* Is tied for the fastest modern day driver to reach two wins
* Has three wins, six top-five and 19 top-10 finishes in 31 races
* Has four Bud Pole positions this season, tied for the most in NASCAR Winston Cup (, Daytona, Talladega, Lowe's Motor Speedway and Richmond)
* Is 24 points back in the Raybestos Rookie of the Year Competition (336-312)
* Has been the highest finishing rookie 15 times this season
* The 19 top-10 finishes is tied for the most in the Winston Cup Series (Las Vegas - 6th, Atlanta - 3rd, Darlington - 6th, Bristol - 7th, Texas - 6th, Talladega - 7th, California - 1st, Lowe's Motor Speedway (Spring) - 7th, Dover (Spring) - 1st, Pocono - 3rd, Daytona (Pepsi 400) - 8th, Chicagoland - 4th, Indianapolis - 9th, Michigan - 7th, Darlington - 9th and New Hampshire - 9th, Dover (Fall) - 1st, Kansas - 10th and Lowe's Motor Speedway (Fall) - 6th)
* Only the third rookie in history to win the Daytona 500 pole
* Only the second rookie in history to win a pole at Talladega Superspeedway
* Holds the NWC qualifying record at Lowe's Motor Speedway
* Has led 12 Winston Cup Series races this season (Las Vegas, Talladega, California, Lowe's Motor Speedway (Spring and Fall), Dover, Michigan, Chicago, Pocono, Darlington (Southern 500) and Richmond (Fall) and Dover (Fall)
Jimmie Johnson at Martinsville Speedway
Johnson's only race at Martinsville Speedway was earlier this season when he started 14th and finished 34th
No. 48 Lowe's Chevrolet Fast Facts
* Team Lowe's Racing will bring car 4847. This is the same Lowe's Monte Carlo that Johnson drove in the last two Richmond races where he took the pole position and finished 13th in the Fall event.
* It is also the same race car that Jeff Gordon used in the three previous races at Richmond. Out of those three races, Gordon won the fall race in 2000, finished second in the spring of 2001 and took the pole in the fall 2001 race. Gordon also used the race car during the 2000's season Fall race when he started and finished fifth.