* Sam Hornish Jr., driver of the Penske Racing No. 77 Mobil 1 Dodge Charger, will make his NASCAR Nationwide and Sprint Cup Series debuts at Las Vegas Motor Speedway this weekend. * Last weekend in California, Hornish Jr. was involved in an ...
* Sam Hornish Jr., driver of the Penske Racing No. 77 Mobil 1 Dodge Charger, will make his NASCAR Nationwide and Sprint Cup Series debuts at Las Vegas Motor Speedway this weekend.
* Last weekend in California, Hornish Jr. was involved in an early-race accident and finished the Auto Club 500 in the 43rd position. He is currently ranked 33rd in the 2008 NASCAR Cup driver point standings.
* Hornish Jr. is currently in a three-way tie for the lead in the Raybestos Rookie-of-the-Year standings with Dario Franchitti and Regan Smith.
* The three-time IndyCar Series Champion earned his first podium finish in IRL competition at Las Vegas Motor Speedway with a third-place result in April 2000.
* Hornish Jr. recently participated in both the Nationwide and Sprint Cup Series test sessions at the 1.5-mile Las Vegas Motor Speedway track. The Mobil 1 team will travel from Las Vegas to Phoenix, Ariz. after Sunday's race to participate in a two-day NASCAR-sanctioned test session.
PRS-532: This weekend's racecar is a brand new chassis.
PRS-508: The backup car for this weekend was last driven by Kurt Busch at New Hampshire Motor Speedway in July 2007. Busch started on the outside pole and ultimately finished the race in 21st place.
Sam Hornish Jr. on Las Vegas
"This weekend I will be competing for the first time at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in both the NASCAR Nationwide and Sprint Cup Series. This will be a new experience for me and I am happy to have the chance to run both races. Las Vegas Motor Speedway is where I got my first podium in the IndyCar Series. In that sense the track is very special to me. Hopefully, we will be able to run a whole lot more laps in Vegas than we did in California and capture a strong finish."
Crew Chief Chris Carrier on Las Vegas
"I feel that each race we run will help our performance in the next race. Sam competing in the Nationwide race this weekend in Las Vegas should really help our team in the Cup race on Sunday. We are a new team and there are challenges that we will face this weekend because Las Vegas is such a fast track. We can't influence many of these elements. However, with the maturity of our driver (Sam Hornish Jr.), we will be fine this weekend."