Carl Edwards on racing at Las Vegas Motor Speedway: "Vegas is the first mile-and-a-half race so it will give us a chance to see where we stand with our intermediate program. Our whole team has been working really hard to get back to Victory Lane.
Carl Edwards on racing at Las Vegas Motor Speedway:
"Vegas is the first mile-and-a-half race so it will give us a chance to see where we stand with our intermediate program. Our whole team has been working really hard to get back to Victory Lane. Looking at our stats in Vegas hopefully we can be as strong there as we have been in the past. The mission at Vegas is to establish a strong intermediate program for the rest of the season, so it's a very important race for us."
Crew chief Bob Osborne on racing at Las Vegas Motor Speedway:
"Las Vegas has been a strong track for all the Roush teams over the years. Carl has had some success there in both Cup and Nationwide. We've put a lot of work into our intermediate-track program over the winter and this will be a great weekend to see what worked, and what we still need to work on. We made some progress in California, but we're still not quite where we need to be. Hopefully we can have a good run in Vegas that will also carry over to Atlanta the following week."
* Carl Edwards enters Vegas 10th in the NASCAR Sprint Cup point standings, 69 markers behind point leader Kevin Harvick. He has earned one top-10 finish this season.
* FOR THE RECORD... In five starts at the 1.5-mile Vegas track, Edwards has one win, one top-five and two top-10 finishes. His average start is 14.4, and his average finish is 12.8. Edwards has completed every lap of Cup competition attempted at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
* IN THE LOOP... According to NASCAR's Loop Statistics compiled over the last five races at Vegas, Edwards has turned 95 of the track's fastest laps (third most), spent 771 laps in the top 15 and led a total of 91 laps. Edwards' driver rating is eighth best among active drivers.
* AFLAC STORK?...Edwards is used to having the Aflac duck around, but soon the stork will be arriving as well. He and wife Kate are expecting their first child, a daughter, this week.
* ON THE TRACK...The No. 99 will have co-primary sponsorship at Vegas with Aflac and Kellogg's. The No. 99 crew will unload RK-565 for the weekend. Edwards raced this car at both Atlanta events, Chicago and Darlington in 2009. Its best finish was third at Atlanta in March.
* REWIND, VEGAS, MARCH 2009... Throughout the 285-lap event Edwards kept the No. 99 in the top 15 for 262 laps, but it seemed as though every time he would make up ground on the track, a miscue in the pits would set him back. In the closing laps of race, Edwards had overcome his pit road misfortunes, avoided several accidents and looked to be well on his way to a top-five finish, however on the final lap, his engine expired and he was forced to coast around to the finish line. Edwards fell from fifth place to 17th.