Indianapolis Motor Speedway * Johnson has made seven Sprint Cup Series starts at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, posting two wins, two top-five and three top-10 finishes. * The two-time Brickyard 400 winner has completed 83.1% (931 of 1121) ...
Indianapolis Motor Speedway
* Johnson has made seven Sprint Cup Series starts at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, posting two wins, two top-five and three top-10 finishes.
* The two-time Brickyard 400 winner has completed 83.1% (931 of 1121) of competition laps at the 2.5-mile track and has led 104, including the 71 he led last year on the way to Victory Lane.
* Johnson has an average start and finish of 17.4 and 20.3.
* Johnson will pilot brand new chassis No. 553 in Sunday's famed event.
* The backup chassis, No. 504, was last driven to a 13th-place finish at Lowe's Motor Speedway in May.
(Regarding IMS) What was your first impression or what was your wow, I never expected it to be like this, factor? "I did not realize that the straightaways were that long and the corners were that tight, especially in a stock car. There's a fair amount of braking that's needed to get through turns one and three, and it took me by surprise. And, one of the coolest moments I experienced in the race my rookie season was coming around to take the green flag. And, when you look down the front stretch into turn one, with the fans on both sides of the track and so close, and in the hard turn that it makes, that spectacle and that view is just amazing. It's just like a 90 degree turn down the end of this tunnel full of color. It's really special."
What's Indy all about? ... It's like the Kentucky Derby, it's like the Super Bowl, it's like the Daytona 500. To race there on that hallowed ground, what kind of emotions does it bring out of you? "When you pull on the track, it takes your breath and you're trying to understand where you're at and what you're doing. But, when you have a chance to actually race in the event that's there that weekend, if it's the 500 or the Brickyard 400, it's amazing the experience and how it changes in your mind. The track is a tricky track. Clouds blow over, it changes the track dramatically, and speed, and how the car handles. All four corners are different and technical. The true character of that track shows up and the challenge of that track presents to everybody that shows up. And for a lot of years, it's haunted me. But, here, the last couple times, it's been good to me."