No. 19 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge Race Facts JEREMY MAYFIELD QUOTES "We had a great test at Indy. The No. 9 had a good test; Bill (Elliott) had a good test. I feel like we've got a good grip on Indy. We have a lot of...
No. 19 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge Race Facts
JEREMY MAYFIELD QUOTES
"We had a great test at Indy. The No. 9 had a good test; Bill (Elliott) had a good test. I feel like we've got a good grip on Indy. We have a lot of good information now; we just have to go there and execute. We've got to capitalize on what we've learned. I test well at Indy. I've qualified well in the past. I've always run well in practice. I've shown a lot of spurts in the race where I've run well. I've just had things go wrong in the race that's kept me from having the kind of finish I was capable of. I've cut tires down. I've had all kinds of bad luck in the past. I love the place and feel like it owes me one."
"We're so hungry for that win; that's what keeps us going every week. We're going into Indy just like we do for any race -- with the attitude we can win. If we get to the end of the race and the car is not capable of winning and we've done everything we can do, then we will start points racing. Until we're faced with that kind of situation, we're going for the win at Indy. I remember a time when I would dread going to certain tracks because I didn't run well there. Now, there's no place we go that I don't feel I can win at. That's an awesome feeling. That's the confidence you must have as a driver. I think my confidence level now is higher than it has ever been. I know my team has confidence in me. Once you get that going, it's like a snowball effect. It builds confidence in everybody."
STATS & FACTS
JEREMY MAYFIELD AT INDY
* Mayfield has made 10 starts at Indy with one top-five and one top-10 at the track. His best finish in the Brickyard 400 came in 1997, when he finished fifth. He earned his best start of 10th in 1995.
THE CHASE IS ON
* Mayfield remains 11th in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series points standings after Pocono. He successfully shaved 66 points off the race for the 10th and final spot in the series chase. He is now only 40 points out of 10th, and 226 points out of fifth place.
* This is the highest Mayfield has ranked in the second-half of a NASCAR Cup season since holding the 10th spot after 20 races in 1999. The last time Mayfield ranked higher than 11th was following the 2003 Daytona 500.
* Mayfield earned his third consecutive top-10 finish last weekend at Pocono. He has finished 10th, fifth and ninth at Chicago, New Hampshire and Pocono, respectively.
IT JUST KEEPS GETTING BETTER
* Mayfield is NASCAR's second-most improved driver in the Cup Series so far this season. His current rank of 11th is 16 positions better than he stood at this point last year.
* After 20 races, Mayfield's average finish (15.9) is eight spots ahead of what it was at this point last year. He has also earned 547 more points and has led 136 more laps.
A NEW LOOK FOR SUMMER
* The No. 9 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge will continue to run its new paint scheme this weekend in Pocono. The new scheme will run through the August 28th race in Bristol in support of Dodge's Summer Sales Drive.
LAST WEEKEND AT POCONO
* Mayfield ran in the top 15 throughout the first half of the race, when crew chief Kenny Francis called for a two-tire pit stop under caution on lap 101 for track position. The call helped Mayfield gain valuable track position, but tire wear and handling in the corners dropped Mayfield back to 21st when the seventh caution fell on lap 161. With fresh tires and enough fuel to make it to the checkered flag, Mayfield started his charge back through the field. He was 10th by lap 178 and managed to climb as high as eighth 12 laps later before bringing the No. 19 Dodge to the checkered flag in the ninth spot.