JACK SPRAGUE ON THE AUTO CLUB 500... "California Speedway is a track I have always enjoyed racing at. It's fast and smooth - just the way I like them - and I always look forward to going there. I got through Martinsville, a track I don't...
JACK SPRAGUE ON THE AUTO CLUB 500...
"California Speedway is a track I have always enjoyed racing at. It's fast and smooth - just the way I like them - and I always look forward to going there. I got through Martinsville, a track I don't really like, by knowing we were going to California next. Plus, we had an off-weekend and a little time to regroup - not much - since we've tested at both Kentucky and Sears Point in the last week. Hopefully, Tony and the team and I will be able get it together and put together a good, solid run this week."
SPRAGUE ON CALIFORNIA AND BEYOND...
"It would be great to get a good finish this week in California. NetZero is based nearby in the Los Angeles area and they bring a ton of people out to the racetrack every year to cheer the team on. This would certainly be a good place for Team NetZero Racing to turn things around and run like we think we are capable of. We need to forget about the first nine races and concentrate and getting this team where it needs to be. I feel like the next couple racetracks we go to present a good opportunity for us. I really like California and Richmond and think this team has a shot of running well at both tracks. Running well at both those tracks would be a real boost for us, and we really need that right now."
CALIFORNIA FAST FACTS
* The 2003 Auto Club 500 will be Jack Sprague's first NASCAR Winston Cup race at California Speedway.
* Sprague's most recent California appearance came in the 2002 Busch Series race. He started on the pole and finished 4th.
* Sprague made his initial California Speedway appearance in the 1997 No Fear Challenge NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series event starting 2nd and finishing 6th.
* Sprague has scored two victories and a pole position in Truck Series competition at California Speedway.
* Sprague is a three-time NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series champion (1997, 1999, 2001).
* Sprague is currently in 39th in the 2003 NASCAR Winston Cup point standings.
* Sprague is a 2003 NASCAR Winston Cup Raybestos Rookie of the Year candidate and currently holds down fourth place in the overall standings.