Jeremy Mayfield Quotes "I'm glad we're getting away from that little half-mile track and headed to a two-mile track. I can't wait to get to California. It should be a good week for us. You have to move around during a race at California, ...
Jeremy Mayfield Quotes
"I'm glad we're getting away from that little half-mile track and headed to a two-mile track. I can't wait to get to California. It should be a good week for us.
You have to move around during a race at California, looking for the line that works best for your setup...figure out where your car likes to be at that particular time. It's funny, you might start a run at the bottom of the track and in 10 laps have to move to the middle to get the car to work. The next set of tires may work better at the top of the track. You have to be ready to move around and try different lines.
Whether we get in the top 10 for the chase or don't, we have to remember where we were a year ago and know that we have a great race team. We've come a long way and we have a great future ahead of us. That's the good thing about it. If we get in, it's a bonus to all of us. If we don't, that means we're going to be hungrier to be in it next year. Either way, there are great things in the future for our team. I think both cars have a good shot getting it. Right now, that's the goal of both teams...get in the field in the next two races.
CAREER AT CALIFORNIA
* This weekend's race marks Mayfield's ninth career visit to California Speedway. He has one win, three top-fives, four top-10s and 49 laps led at the track. Mayfield earned his best start of 2nd in his second start at the speedway in 1998.
RACING FOR 'THE CHASE'
* Mayfield is tied for the 12th spot in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series standings after racing at Bristol. He is just 35 points out of the 10th place spot and 40 points out of eighth.
* A mere 50 points separates the eighth place in the points standings from 15th place.
WHAT A TURNAROUND
* Mayfield is one of NASCAR's most improved drivers in the Cup Series so far this season. His current rank of 12th is 16 positions better than where he stood at this point last year.
* Mayfield earned his second career NASCAR Cup Series victory in the 2000 NAPA Auto Parts 500, beating Bobby Labonte by one-third of a second at California. Mayfield started 24th after qualifying was rained out and passed Mark Martin to lead his first and only laps of the day with 25 left to go.
MAYFIELD IN A HOT SEAT DURING 2000 VICTORY
* Mayfield's 2000 win at California came in a race that he didn't even expect to finish. He battled a car that overheated so much that his team was forced to throw ice water over him every time he pitted. However, Mayfield withstood the heat and eventually took the race with a laboring engine. A late race caution forced Mayfield to lead a restart with three laps to go, and his engine stopped as he accelerated through the second turn. His main ignition had failed, but Mayfield was able to restart the car through a backup system and maintain his lead to a heart-pounding checkered flag finish.