Carl Edwards on racing at Auto Club Speedway: "Auto Club Speedway has always been one of my favorite race tracks.JIt has very high speeds and it's a proven racing surface you can race three, four and five wide there. The fact that it's a...
Carl Edwards on racing at Auto Club Speedway:
"Auto Club Speedway has always been one of my favorite race tracks.JIt has very high speeds and it's a proven racing surface you can race three, four and five wide there. The fact that it's a 500-mile race makes it a throw-back race to me. It's grueling and it's a test of the driver, the car, the crew and the engines. This race feels like an accomplishment when it's over if I've won or finished well.JThis race is a real event and it's a plus going to California in February, it's about as good as it gets. I really enjoy my trips there and I am really looking forward to the race."
Crew chief Bob Osborne on racing at Auto Club Speedway:
"Historically California has been a really good track for Carl. He has finished in the top 10 in all but one of his Cup races out there. The car we are taking ran well at Homestead and California at the end of last season, so with the work we've done over the winter I'm hoping we can improve on the top 10's we got with it last year. Our crew really got the job done on pit road at Daytona last weekend and if they can keep that up every week it will be a lot easier to keep Carl up front."
* Carl Edwards enters California 10th in the NASCAR Sprint Cup point standings, 52 markers behind point leader Jamie McMurray. He earned his first top-10 finish of the season in the Daytona 500.
* FOR THE RECORD... In 11 starts at the two-mile California track, Edwards has one win, one pole, six top-five and 10 top-10 finishes. His average start is 17.8, and his average finish is 6.6 which is second only to Jimmie Johnson's 5.8. Edwards has completed 2752 of 2755 (99.9%) of laps attempted at Auto Club Speedway.
* IN THE LOOP... According to NASCAR's Loop Statistics compiled over the last 11 races at Fontana, Edwards has turned 140 of the track's fastest laps, spent 1983 laps in the top 15 and led a total of 121 laps. Edwards' driver rating is third best among active drivers.
* AFLAC STORK?...Edwards is used to having the Aflac duck around, but soon the stork will be arriving as well. He and wife Kate are expecting their first child this month.
* ON THE TRACK...The No. 99 will carry a special "You Don't Know Quack" paint scheme at California. The plan is to educate people about the value of Aflac's products in really innovative and creative ways. The No. 99 crew will unload RK-669 for the weekend. Edwards finished seventh with it at Homestead and sixth at California in October.
* REWIND, CALIFORNIA, FEB. 2009...Throughout the 250-lap event, the team adjusted on the No. 99 to improve the ill-handling conditions that Edwards reported. By the time the checkers waved, Edwards had made his way up to seventh place for a solid finish.