Ernie Irvan's Sears Point Raceway Highlights... * The "M&M's"Â® Racing Team seems in good shape to come away from Sears Point Raceway with a strong finish. "M&M's"Â® Racing Team driver Ernie Irvan has a strong record at Sears Point, finishing in...
Ernie Irvan's Sears Point Raceway Highlights...
* The "M&M's"® Racing Team seems in good shape to come away from Sears Point Raceway with a strong finish. "M&M's"® Racing Team driver Ernie Irvan has a strong record at Sears Point, finishing in the top 10 in six of nine races. In addition to Irvan's six top-10 finishes, he also has four top fives and one pole position.
* Irvan had his marquee performance at Sears Point in 1994. The weekend started with Irvan capturing the pole position and ended with Irvan in victory lane. The driver of the "M&M's"® Pontiac has a second win at the track when Irvan started second and finished first in 1992.
* Irvan has a full plate when he visits the Sonoma Valley this weekend. His superior performances at Sears Point makes him a track favorite, but growing up in Salinas, Calif., makes him a local favorite as well. Prior to his migration east to the Carolinas, Irvan cut his racing teeth around his hometown and spent many hours at nearby Laguna Seca Raceway.
* Irvan will sign autographs at the Save Mart Supermarket in Modesto, Calif., on Thursday, June 24, from 5 - 7 p.m. on behalf of his sponsor, "M&M's"® Chocolate Candies. Irvan will also make an appearance at Watsonville (Calif.) Speedway on Friday, June 25, when he suits up to run a match race against his father Vic.
* The "M&M's"® Racing Team has been on a roll as of late. In the team's last two starts, they have an outside pole position and two top-10 finishes.
Ernie Irvan's thoughts on racing at Sears Point Raceway... "I haven't had any more experience running road courses than any other Winston Cup driver in the last 11 years," Irvan said. "But I have had a lot of success there and I think it is attributed to a lot of things, not just the driver. How I perform at Sears Point in the "M&M's"® Pontiac has a lot to do with the car I have under me and how well we get the chassis set up for the race. Since there aren't a lot of places to pass now, qualifying and pit stops will be critical, which makes the "M&M's"® Team a big factor in the race. We need to qualify up front and keep ourselves up front."
Ernie Irvan at Sears Point Raceway Year Event St Fin Earnings 1989 Banquet 300 29 23 3,475 1990 Banquet 300 2 7 12,700 1991 Banquet 300 11 4 20,350 1992 Save Mart 300 2 1 61,810 1993 Save Mart 300 4 2 41,190 1994 Save Mart 300 1 1 78,810 1996 Save Mart 300 18 42 26,095 1997 Save Mart 300 24 8 40,145 1998 Save Mart 350 32 36 31,785
Starts Wins Top Five Top 10 Poles Earnings Total 9 2 4 6 1 316,360