Martin rolls into Monster MILE OF DOVER After concluding the Charlotte version of Speedweeks with a 15th-place finish in the Coca-Cola 600, Mark Martin and the No. 8 Team turn their attention to the Monster Mile of Dover. Noted as one of his...
Martin rolls into Monster MILE OF DOVER
After concluding the Charlotte version of Speedweeks with a 15th-place finish in the Coca-Cola 600, Mark Martin and the No. 8 Team turn their attention to the Monster Mile of Dover. Noted as one of his favorite tracks on the circuit, Martin has won at Dover in all three of NASCAR's major divisions.
Worthy Note: Martin is the only driver to have won in the Cup, Nationwide and Truck series at Dover.
This will be Martin's 44th Cup career cup start at Dover, where he has won four times. The four wins tie him for the most ever at the track. Considered one of his favorite tracks on the circuit, Martin has 27 top-10 and 20 top-five finishes at the Monster Mile. The 20 top-fives are the most of any driver.
FIRST EVER NASCAR WIN
The first of Martin's 90 NASCAR victories came via the Busch Series at Dover on May 30, 1987 in the Budweiser 200.
FAST FROM START TO FINISH
Martin was fast at Dover from the very beginning, running fifth in the Mason-Dixon 500 in his first ever start at the one-mile track on 5/16/82. Martin started the event seventh, the first of his 27 top-10 starts at the track. Martin finished in the top-10 in both races at Dover last season, including a fourth-place finish there in the fall and a seventh in the spring.
GETTING STARTED AT DOVER
Martin has four poles at Dover and started in the top 10 in 26 of his first 38 races there.
COVERING THE SERIES AT DOVER
Martin is the only driver to have won at Dover in all three of NASCAR's major racing divisions. He has four wins at the Monster Mile in the Cup car, one in the Busch race in 1987 and one in the truck series in 2006.
"Dover is a track that I always loved and we always run well there. I should have won there so many times and it just seemed like something would go wrong. Finally it all fell into place and we've had a lot of success there over the years. I won my first ever Busch and NASCAR race there in 1987. We've won in the Cup car there four times and we got a Truck Series win there a couple of years ago. It's just the type of track that really suits my style of driving and it can be a lot of fun to race there. It's definitely one of my favorite tracks on the circuit.
"I'm looking forward to going to Dover this weekend with this No. 8 U.S. Army Team. We didn't have as good of a run as we would have liked in the 600 last weekend, but these guys continue to impress me with their determination and effort. We had good runs last season at Dover in both races with the No. 01 Team. I finished fourth there in the fall just behind this No. 8 team, so I'm pretty confident that if we put that all together and continue to build on what we know with this COT and these tracks, we should be able to have a car that is competitive at Dover this weekend."
* Martin has four wins at Dover, with the last coming in the spring of 2004.
* Martin holds the track record at Dover (Cup), winning on 9/21/97 in 3:00:50 (132.717 mph avg).
* Martin holds the Truck track record with 120.00 mph average at Dover in 2006.
* Martin's 20 top-five finishes in the Cup series are the most of any active driver at Dover.
* Martin has 27 top-10 finishes (Cup) at Dover, including five top fours in the last seven races.
* Martin finished fifth in his first Cup race at Dover on 5/16/82.
* Martin has finished in the top 10 in 63 percent of his Cup races at Dover.
* Martin finished one-two in both Dover Cup races in 2004, three-four there in 2005.
* Martin earned the first of his record 48 Busch Series wins at Dover in 1987.
* Martin is the only driver to have won in all three of NASCAR's major series at Dover.
* Martin finished top 10 in both races at Dover last season, including fourth in the fall race.