Jeremy Mayfield No. 19 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge Intrepid RACING AT DOVER "I've been up and down at Dover. I actually really like this track. I've had some good runs here in the past, and it seems like I've led a lot here. I don't know. For the...
No. 19 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge Intrepid
RACING AT DOVER
"I've been up and down at Dover. I actually really like this track. I've had some good runs here in the past, and it seems like I've led a lot here. I don't know. For the past few years, it just seems like I've been running up front and have been caught up in something. To run well there you've got to start up front and stay there. It's a mile track, so it's even more difficult to pass. Qualifying will be important too. I got the pole there in 2000, so we'll see what we can do. This Dew Crew is working hard and we're looking for a good run this weekend."
* Evernham Motorsports announced that Ray Evernham is scheduled to run a Dodge in a Modified 12-lap shootout race against Martin Truex, Jr. at Wall Township Speedway on Saturday, May 31. The event is in support of the NASCAR Dodge Weekly Series.
"Dodge has been a great supporter of my efforts in Winston Cup racing. When they asked me to help support the NASCAR Dodge Weekly Series, I couldn't pass up the opportunity. I've always threatened the guys that I might get back behind the wheel some day and now I have the chance. Not only that, but I get to do it in front of my hometown crowd. It should be pretty exciting."
* Jeremy Mayfield is scheduled to drive chassis #21, which he raced at Rockingham and Bristol this year, as well as both races at Dover in 2002. The car's best finish is 14th at Bristol(a) last year.
* Mayfield celebrated his 34th birthday on Tuesday, May 27.
CAREER AT DOVER
* This weekend's race marks Mayfield's 286th career start in the NASCAR Winston Cup Series and 18th career visit to Dover Int'l Speedway. Mayfield has one pole, three top-fives and four top-10 finishes at the racetrack. He has led three Dover races for a total of 130 laps.
* Mayfield earned his top Dover finish of third place by moving up from a 28th starting position in the 1998 fall race. He tallied his first Dover pole position in the 2000 fall race - his third pole of 2000 and the fifth of his career.
MOST RECENT RUN AT DOVER
* In last year's fall race at Dover, Jeremy Mayfield, driver of the No. 19 Dodge Dealers Intrepid, demonstrated the continued improvements in his team. He qualified in the 11th position and ran in the top-15 for the first half of the race. But his Dodge Intrepid also was plagued by handling problems, so the Dew Crew worked diligently throughout the race to improve the car's performance. Mayfield ended up 20th on the day.
* Sunday night's Coca-Cola 600 began under caution as NASCAR attempted to dry the 1.5-mile oval of Lowe's Motor Speedway. After three laps the race was green flagged. On lap 49 Mayfield brought his No. 19 Dodge in for service. Mayfield reported that the car was slipping out of gear and the problem kept him in the pits for an extended amount of time. He retired from the race just over 120 laps into the 400-lap event when the No. 19 Dodge was damaged beyond repair. Mayfield reportedly cut a right front tire and careened into the wall. He moves to 33rd place in the Winston Cup points race.
TALLADEGA POLE POSITION
* Mayfield earned his seventh career pole position, and his first for Evernham Motorsports, in this year's Aaron's 499 at Talladega Superspeedway. The pole was Mayfield's third at Talladega, and makes him one of only three active drivers who have scored three or more poles at the track (Sterling Marlin - three, Bill Elliott - eight). The pole was Mayfield's first since starting up front in the Pop Secret 400 at North Carolina Speedway in October 2000. All seven of Mayfield's Bud Poles have been earned on superspeedways (Talladega, Darlington, Dover, Rockingham, and Texas).
WINSTON CUP CAREER RECORD
* Coming into the 2003 Armed Forces Family 400 at Dover Int'l Speedway, Mayfield has made 285 starts, with seven poles (three at Talladega and one at Darlington, Dover, Rockingham, and Texas), three wins (two at Pocono, and one at California), 35 top-fives and 63 top-10s. His most recent win came at Pocono in June of 2000. He earned his most recent pole, and his first pole for Evernham Motorsports at the Aaron's 499 at Talladega on April 6th.