Dover International Speedway * Johnson has made 15 Sprint Cup Series starts at Dover International Speedway, earning four wins, six top-five and 10 top-10 finishes. * Johnson has completed 96.9% (5820 of 6004) of competition laps at...
Dover International Speedway
* Johnson has made 15 Sprint Cup Series starts at Dover International Speedway, earning four wins, six top-five and 10 top-10 finishes.
* Johnson has completed 96.9% (5820 of 6004) of competition laps at the track and has led 935.
* He has an average start and finish of 12.5 and 10.4.
* Johnson will pilot chassis number 552 in Sunday's race. He led 133 laps in that car at Michigan International Speedway in August before running out of fuel in the closing laps and finishing 33rd.
* Johnson drove backup chassis number 465 to Victory Lane at Dover International Speedway in May.
CAN YOU TALK ABOUT HEADING TO DOVER THIS WEEKEND? "I'm obviously pleased with the performance from New Hampshire and very happy to be where we are in the points. We seem to be off to a great start here. Dover, the way it went in the spring for us, I am really excited going back although we're on a different tire which is going to be different, but we were lucky enough to be one of the teams that was involved in the tire test. All in all, I'm optimistic and I feel that there's a stretch of tracks that are really good for the 48 coming up. Looking forward to separating the Chase group out a little more and gaining ground on Mark (Martin) and trying to get ahead and be the leader here sometime in the next couple races."
HOW IMPORTANT IS IT TO HAVE THIS REALLY SOLID START TO THE CHASE AFTER THE FIRST RACE? "It all depends on how the next few races go or I should say, how the entire season goes. It's one of 10 -- there's no doubt that momentum is part of any sport. Guys who didn't have a good feeling or are disappointed. If everybody has a bad race then it doesn't matter where that bad race is -- at the start or at the end. It's more from momentum purposes, it's kind of out of your control at this point and you have to hope that the other 11 guys have an issue. It's to be determined at this point and we just have to see how it goes. You have to naturally think that someone is going to be relatively clean through it all. When I look back at 2006, we had problems at New Hampshire and then crashed out at Talladega and still won the championship and got it done."