JEREMY MAYFIELD NO. 19 DODGE DEALERS INTREPID R/T RUNNING AT DOVER "The way this team has been coming together, I feel really good about going to Dover. We've had some good weekends lately with this Dodge Dealers/ UAW Dodge and we like the ...
JEREMY MAYFIELD NO. 19 DODGE DEALERS INTREPID R/T
RUNNING AT DOVER
"The way this team has been coming together, I feel really good about going to Dover. We've had some good weekends lately with this Dodge Dealers/ UAW Dodge and we like the direction we're going in. I enjoy racing at Dover. It's one of the tracks where I feel comfortable getting around. I've qualified well there in the past. I got the pole at this race in 2000. I've had good cars too, it seems like a couple of times we've been running up there and something has happened."
KEYS TO SUCCESS AT DOVER
"Track position is important because you definitely want to start up front if you can. A little luck doesn't hurt either at Dover. You can get caught up in something that's not your fault pretty quick."
Jeremy Mayfield will be driving the No. 19 Dodge Dealers/ UAW Dodge that he drove in the second Darlington race.
STATS & FACTS
* This weekend's race marks Mayfield's 265th career start in the NASCAR Winston Cup Series and 16th career visit to Dover Downs International Speedway. He has one pole, three top-fives, and four top-10s at Dover, and a career-high finish of third place that he earned at the track in the fall race of 1998. Mayfield earned the pole at Dover in the fall race of 2000. Mayfield's most recent start at Dover came in June's MBNA Platinum 400 where he started 24th and finished 35th. He experienced trouble with the No. 19 Dodge Dealers Intrepid R/T less than 100 laps into the 400-mile event and was forced to make a green flag pit stop on lap 71 for a loose handling car.
* Jeremy Mayfield was the highest qualifying Dodge for last weekend's New Hampshire event, rolling off in ninth place. He spent the first 20 laps running in the top-10 until the caution for rain came out. He restarted his No. 19 Dodge Intrepid R/T in 10th place on lap 29. Mayfield reported tight conditions with the car and the Dew Crew worked to adjust the No. 19 Dodge Intrepid R/T, taking out a wedge and making air pressure adjustments. Mayfield never got the feel he was looking for in the car, but he and the Dew Crew worked together to maintain track position. Mayfield came in for the final time on lap 154 and took four tires and fuel, setting up a duel to the finish as the rain threatened to end the day's event. Mayfield finished in 24th place.
* After last weekend's race at New Hampshire, Mayfield maintained his 27th place standing in the Winston Cup points race. He is 30 points out of 26th place and 38 points from 25th.
* Mayfield's second-place run this year at Las Vegas was his best run at the track and his best overall finish since the 2000 Pennzoil 400 at Homestead-Miami where he finished second. The finish also qualified Mayfield for the Winston No Bull 5 $1 million bonus during the May race in Charlotte.
* Coming into the 2002 season, Mayfield had 237 starts, with six poles (two at Talladega and one at Darlington, Dover, Rockingham, and Texas), three wins (two at Pocono, and one at California), 33 top-fives and 58 top-10s. His most recent win came at Pocono in June of 2000.