UPS Racing Team Notes of Interest * Dale Jarrett is a three-time winner of the Budweiser Shootout at Daytona, winning the event in 1996, 2000 and 2004. * Twice during his career, Jarrett has followed a win in the Budweiser Shootout with...
UPS Racing Team Notes of Interest
* Dale Jarrett is a three-time winner of the Budweiser Shootout at Daytona, winning the event in 1996, 2000 and 2004.
* Twice during his career, Jarrett has followed a win in the Budweiser Shootout with a win in the Daytona 500 the following week.
* Jarrett is one of five drivers to win the Budweiser Shootout in their first attempt.
* Jarrett has won the pole for the Daytona 500 three times during his career, winning poles in 1995, 2000 and 2005.
* Jarrett won the Daytona 500 in 2000 after winning the pole for the race.
Jarrett Discusses Racing in the Budweiser Shootout and Daytona 500 Qualifying
How special is it to be competing in the 30th edition of the Budweiser Shootout?
"I can hardly believe it's been 30 years. It's just a fun race. I can remember watching it for so many years, dreaming about the day that I might be able to be a part of it and after winning the pole for the '95 Daytona 500 it gave me my first chance in 1996 to be a part of it. Low and behold we were good enough to go out and win the race. So, in my first opportunity of running it I won it. I guess we've won it two times since then. Again, it's just a fun race for the fans and as a driver, it's at a great venue and it's got a great name involved with it and all that matters is winning it. I'm really looking forward to running in it one last time."
How do you feel about qualifying for the Daytona 500 this Sunday? "We had a pretty good test down in Daytona a few weeks ago and it certainly was a big improvement from where we were a year ago. We were pretty pleased with what we saw from these cars during single-car runs. It'd be nice to finish the qualifying session as one of the top two cars because you can rest easy and just worry about the Daytona 500 itself and not about the Duals. I don't know if we'll have that much car but you never know. I'm just looking forward to getting to Daytona and getting things started. It will be my last qualifying session for the Daytona 500 and I'm looking forward to making the most out of these last five races."