Carl Edwards on racing in the Shootout at Daytona International Speedway: "The name says it all -- the Shootout is a battle for glory. I'm excited about going there and kicking off the season with a fun race like that. Scotts will be on board so...
Carl Edwards on racing in the Shootout at Daytona International Speedway:
"The name says it all -- the Shootout is a battle for glory. I'm excited about going there and kicking off the season with a fun race like that. Scotts will be on board so that's a great way to kick off our new sponsorship program with them. They have meant a lot to my career and I'm proud to have them on the car. Our theme this year is to be the best we can be and I'm excited for our changes on pit road. The Shootout will be a good warm-up for them. The main goal for me in that race is to go out and have a blast and try to bring home a trophy."
Crew chief Bob Osborne on racing at Daytona International Speedway:
"The Shootout is a good test to help us prepare for the Duels and the 500. Generally the set-up is very close to what we run in both races, so it gives us a chance to see what we've got for the following week. It's also a good warm-up for the pit crew. We've got three new guys (two tire changers and a jackman) going over the wall this year, so it gives everyone a chance to work together for the first time under race conditions. I'm looking forward to a fresh start this season."
* CARL EDWARDS will make his fourth start in the Budweiser Shootout Saturday night. His best finish to date is seventh last year. He has led 12 laps in his previous three starts.
* 2009 STATS...Last season Edwards accumulated seven top-five and 14 top-10 finishes. He led 164 laps of competition to finish 11th in the Sprint Cup point standings.
* FOR THE RECORD...Edwards' average start at Daytona International Speedway is 17.2, his average finish is 19.7. Edwards' best finish at Daytona is second place, captured in July 2008. His best finish in the Daytona 500 is 12th in his first start in 2005.
* AFLAC STORK?...Edwards is used to having the Aflac duck around, but soon the stork will be arriving as well. He and wife Kate are expecting their first child this month.
* ON THE TRACK...The No. 99 will carry the Scotts colors Saturday for the Budweiser Shootout, the first of six races for Scotts as the primary sponsor. The No. 99 crew will unload RK-622 for the Shootout. This car was a back-up at Daytona last year.
* REWIND, SHOOTOUT, 2009...Edwards started the race in 11th place and led twice for 11 laps; however on the green-white-checker finish Edwards who restarted third, fell back to seventh place where he ultimately finished the race.