Daytona International Speedway To Celebrate 25th Anniversary Of Richard Petty's 200th Win; During Coke Zero 400 Weekend Powered By Coca-Cola DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (April 24, 2009) -- This year's Coke Zero 400 Weekend Powered By Coca-Cola on July...
Daytona International Speedway To Celebrate 25th Anniversary Of Richard Petty's 200th Win; During Coke Zero 400 Weekend Powered By Coca-Cola
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (April 24, 2009) -- This year's Coke Zero 400 Weekend Powered By Coca-Cola on July 2-4 marks the 25th anniversary of Richard Petty's historic 200th NASCAR win and Daytona International Speedway will put on a celebration fit for a King and honor one of the landmark moments in the history of NASCAR.
On July 4, 1984, Petty, nicknamed "The King," captured his 200th career NASCAR victory in the Independence Day holiday classic at Daytona International Speedway with President Ronald Reagan in attendance. It was the first time a sitting President of the United States attended a NASCAR race and it was the final time Petty won a NASCAR race.
During the upcoming Independence Day holiday weekend on July 2-4, race fans will be able to relive the moment as Daytona International Speedway and Daytona 500 Experience motorsports attraction pay tribute to the 25th anniversary of Petty's 200th win with a number of special activities that include:
* Petty pacing the 43-car field of the Coke Zero 400 Powered By Coca-Cola prior to the waving of the green flag in a replica 200th-winning No. 43 car
* Appearances by Petty throughout the weekend in the Sprint FANZONE, Coke Zero Club and Daytona 500 Experience
* Displays inside the Sprint FANZONE, Daytona 500 Experience and Coke Zero Club of race-winning Petty cars on loan from the Petty Museum in Randleman, N.C. The exhibit inside Daytona 500 Experience will remain on display through the end of the year
* A special $43 Coke Zero 400 Powered By Coca-Cola ticket offer for the Oldfield and Lockhart Grandstands
* Exclusive ticket package that will put race fans in suite on the Frontstretch with Richard Petty for the Coke Zero 400 Powered By Coca-Cola
"Richard Petty's 200th victory is a significant moment in the history of both Daytona International Speedway and NASCAR," Daytona International Speedway President Robin Braig said. "It's one of those records in sports that will never be broken. We're excited about the activities that we have planned for the upcoming Independence Day weekend. It's going to be a tribute that race fans are going to want to experience in person."
"I couldn't think of a better way to celebrate the 25th anniversary of win No. 200 than leading the 43-car field for the Coke Zero 400," Petty said. "Winning my 200th on July 4th at Daytona with President Reagan in attendance was a special moment in my career. I'm looking forward to reminiscing about that milestone with the fans."
For tickets to the Coke Zero 400 Weekend Powered By Coca-Cola, call 1-800-PITSHOP or visit www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com