NOTES: * This Week's Race Car at Daytona International Speedway (Chassis No. 119) is the same car that helped Gordon post his second-best finish (fifth place) of the season at Talladega Superspeedway in April, and the same car also helped...
* This Week's Race Car at Daytona International Speedway (Chassis No. 119) is the same car that helped Gordon post his second-best finish (fifth place) of the season at Talladega Superspeedway in April, and the same car also helped Gordon begin a strong run at Daytona earlier this year before he was taken out of competition during an early race crash on lap 72.
* Four in a row, not too shabby ... Gordon earned four consecutive IMSA GTS/GTO class wins in the 24 Hours of Daytona from 1990-1993
* It all began in Daytona ... Gordon made his first NASCAR Cup start at Daytona in the 1991 Daytona 500
* RCR Rocks Daytona ... Dating back to 1986, RCR has won six poles and owns 22 total victories at DIS, including 10 straight (1990-1999) Twin 125 wins with Dale Earnhardt and Mike Skinner. All totaled, RCR has won five Bud Shootouts, 13 Twin 125 qualifying races, 2 Pepsi 400s and one Daytona 500. Additionally, Dale Earnhardt Jr., won the 2002 Busch Series race at Daytona driving a car fielded by RCR.
* Just a hop, skip and a jump away ... Gordon will sign autographs at the Cingular Wireless retail store in front of the Volusia Mall (across from Daytona International Speedway) on Friday, July 2, from Noon to 2 p.m.
* Didn't catch'em down south? Head north ... While in the Chicago area, Gordon is scheduled to sign autographs Noon to 2 p.m., Thurs., July 8, at the Jewel grocery store located at 1401 W. Jefferson in Joliet, Ill. He also will be signing autographs at the Cingular Wireless store located at 1015 Essington Road in Joliet, Ill., from 6 to 8 p.m. Sat., July 10.
* K. Earnhardt gunning again ... Kerry Earnhardt will make his fourth attempt of the season to field the No. 33 Bass Pro Shops Chevrolet in a NASCAR Cup Series race, by qualifying under the lights at Daytona International Speedway Thursday night. Earnhardt also competed earlier this year at Talladega Superspeedway in the Aaron's 499 and Lowe's Motor Speedway in the NASCAR All-Star Open.
* D. Blaney continues his drive for AOL ... Dave Blaney will return to his seat in the AOL Chevrolet this weekend to mark his third official start for the RCR owned No. 30 team.
* Listen and watch ... The Pepsi 400 NASCAR Cup race will broadcast live starting at 7:30 p.m. EDT Saturday, July 3, on FOX, MRN and XM Radio. Qualifying for the Pepsi 400 will broadcast live at 8:10 p.m. EDT Thursday, July 1, on SPEED, MRN and XM Radio
Team Cingular Quotes:
R. Gordon on racing at Daytona International Speedway:
"I can't believe we're already heading back to Daytona. This year is flying by and we're running out of time. I am hoping we'll have better luck the second time around. We got caught up in the big one during our last visit to Florida, so hopefully we will be able to avoid that this time.
"We are returning with the same car we raced there earlier this year, because it's a great car. We just didn't get to showcase that last time. I believe we were working on a top-10 in February and were interrupted by the ever-present flying cars of Daytona.
"We also took the same Cingular Chevrolet to Talladega in April and had one of our best races this year there. I think that was our second-best finish of the season so far. [Kevin] Harvick had a good run at Talladega, too. If I recall correctly, [Dave] Blaney was pretty strong at Daytona earlier this year, so if everything goes our way RCR should really have a good presence this weekend. Kerry Earnhardt will be with us as well and he, too, was working on a great run in Alabama earlier this year before he was sidelined by another car at Talladega.
"I really just want to put the first-half of the season behind me and try to make a change for the better over the next few weeks. I know it is going to be tough, but Team Cingular can't be counted out, yet."