Mobil 1 Team News and Notes of Interest * Sam Hornish Jr., driver of the Penske Racing No. 77 Mobil 1 Dodge Charger, captured his second NASCAR Sprint Cup Series top-10 finish in three weeks last weekend in Richmond. Posting a NASCAR ...
Mobil 1 Team News and Notes of Interest
* Sam Hornish Jr., driver of the Penske Racing No. 77 Mobil 1 Dodge Charger, captured his second NASCAR Sprint Cup Series top-10 finish in three weeks last weekend in Richmond. Posting a NASCAR career-best result of sixth place, Hornish raced his way from the 28th starting position to the front of the field where he ran for most of the race.
* Hornish has just two starts at Darlington Raceway across the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series and Nationwide Series. Last season, Hornish was relegated to a 38th-place finish at "The Lady in Black" after two separate tire incidents ended the night early for the No. 77 team. Also competing in the Nationwide Series event last year, Hornish ran strong all race and finished just outside of the top-10.
* Hornish will be joined at the track this Mother's Day weekend by his mother, JoEllen Hornish, and his wife Crystal. Sam and Crystal have a 15-month old daughter named Addison.
* Fans can now follow Sam Hornish Jr. on Twitter at www.twitter.com/SamHornish. Hornish provides followers with a glimpse inside his everyday life while keeping fans updated on the latest news from the No. 77 team.
* Last year, Hornish raced his way into the All-Star Race at Lowe's Motor Speedway with a second-place finish in the Sprint Showdown. With the All-Star Race fan vote underway, fans can cast their ballot for Hornish online at www.nascar.com.
* Hornish will be on hand to sign autographs at the Penske Racing souvenir trailer on Saturday, May 9 from 4 -- 4:30 p.m. EDT at Darlington Raceway.
Sam Hornish Jr. on Darlington Raceway
"This time last season, Darlington Raceway was an unknown to me. Although we didn't have a very good race, I like Darlington and am looking forward to racing there under the lights in the Mobil 1 Dodge. I am so proud to look at the progress of this No. 77 team compared to where we were as newly-constructed team just a year ago.
"We've had some real good runs and been real strong this year. I feel like I'm learning all the time. The Mobil 1 team is growing and getting stronger and things are really starting to come together. I think the same can be said for Penske Racing as a whole."
Crew Chief Travis Geisler on Darlington Raceway
"I always look forward to racing at Darlington. It is one of the most unique tracks on the circuit and has so much great history. With a year on the new pavement, I think the racing will be even better than last year and racing under the lights Saturday night makes it even better. The Mobil 1 Dodge is ready for a good weekend and I know Sam is looking forward to the challenge with a race under his belt at the egg-shaped oval. This No. 77 team is excited to continue the forward momentum of the past few weeks."