A Family Affair for Waltrip in Darlington HUNTERSVILLE, NC (May 9, 2006) - Saturday night's Dodge Charger 500 NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series event at Darlington (S.C.) Raceway will be a little different from the norm for NAPA AUTO PARTS driver ...
A Family Affair for Waltrip in Darlington
HUNTERSVILLE, NC (May 9, 2006) - Saturday night's Dodge Charger 500 NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series event at Darlington (S.C.) Raceway will be a little different from the norm for NAPA AUTO PARTS driver Michael Waltrip. Not only will he have his wife, Buffy, atop the pit box over the course of the 393-mile event, but his mother, Margaret, will be in attendance as well.
As part of Mother's Day weekend, Darlington (S.C.) Raceway has invited the mother's of all drivers to come and participate in race weekend festivities.
"The coolest thing about being at Darlington this weekend is that the racetrack has chosen to honor moms," said NAPA driver Michael Waltrip. "It's pretty special to know that my mom (Margaret Waltrip) will be there for my 653rd start. It makes this the race not only a special event for her, but for me as well because of her presence."
Her presence could be just the spark Waltrip needs to get himself back into the top-35 in owner's points and out of the hassle of having to make each race on time. His NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series record at the 1.366-mile egg-shaped shows he's got the ability to do that, with three top-five and eight top-10 finishes in 40 starts.
Michael Waltrip Darlington Fast Facts...
- NAPA AUTO PARTS driver Michael Waltrip will attempt to make his 41st start at Darlington Raceway. That places him fourth among full-time active drivers with starts at the "Track too tough to Tame". Kyle Petty leads all full-time active drivers with 48 starts.
- Waltrip has one NASCAR Busch Series victory at Darlington Raceway. He got it back on September 5, 1992, driving the No. 30 Pennzoil Pontiac for Chuck Rider, and won a little under $18,000.
- The NAPA team will run chassis number 96 under the lights at Darlington on Saturday night. This car was run in Las Vegas, NV, and Bristol, Tenn., earlier in the year, and finished 35th and 32nd, respectively.
- Waltrip will throw out the first pitch at a Major League Baseball game on Wednesday, May 10, 2006, before the Florida Marlins take on the Atlanta Braves at Dolphin Stadium. Live coverage of the game starts at 7:05 PM EDT on FSN.
- Did you know the last time Waltrip missed a NASCAR Cup race was in1998 at Phoenix International Raceway? He has missed only that one race in his last 571 starts.
NAPA AUTO PARTS driver Michael Waltrip on the Dodge Charger 500 at Darlington Raceway...
What's your take on Darlington?
"I've had a lot of success at Darlington over the years. I won a Busch race there back in 1992 when I was running for Chuck Rider, and I've always loved going there because of its history and the fact that it's so different from anywhere else we go."
Any news on the crew chief front for the No. 55?
"We are really close to naming a new crew chief for the 55 car and hope to have something set this weekend. I'd like to get all the players lined up quickly so stay tuned for more information."