KEVIN HARVICK Harvick Still One of the Hottest Heading to Darlington HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. (May 9, 2006) -- As the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series looks to unfold this weekend at Darlington (S.C.) Raceway, GM Goodwrench driver Kevin Harvick still ...
Harvick Still One of the Hottest Heading to Darlington
HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. (May 9, 2006) -- As the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series looks to unfold this weekend at Darlington (S.C.) Raceway, GM Goodwrench driver Kevin Harvick still maintains his status as one of NASCAR's hottest drivers on the circuit. Following Harvick's third NASCAR Busch Series (NBS) victory out of the last four NBS races Friday night at Richmond International Raceway, he went on to dominate the Cup event Saturday night, leading a race high 272 laps and finished third. Harvick has kept his No. 29 GM Goodwrench Chevrolet at the front of the pack this season leading 222.6 miles ranking him sixth on the Mile Leaders chart.
The Bakersfield, Calif., native improved two more positions in the Cup Series point standings and has climbed from 23rd to fifth in the last six races and is now 208 markers out of the lead. Harvick, who just signed a contract extension with Richard Childress Racing through 2009, has scored all five of his 2006 top-10 finishes in the last six races.
Harvick has had some incredible races of his own at Darlington Raceway. In his nine Cup Series starts, the 30 year-old has four top-10 finishes and came very close to winning the August race in 2003, finishing second. Harvick finished 14th in this race one year ago and has been running at the finish in all but one of his nine races at the track "Too Tough To Tame." He also has an average finish of 17.4 and has led in one of his nine races at Darlington Raceway.
"When we avoid trouble at Darlington, we always run in the top-10," said Harvick. "But if we get into the wall or struggle mechanically, then we never seem to be able to fight our way back. But, the one thing I know is that this year our team is willing to fight back and get the best finish we can. Hopefully we can stay out of trouble and run up-front all night long. That's what championship teams do week-in and week-out."
Points of Interest...
* Victory Lane Savings Promotion...GM Goodwrench driver Kevin Harvick gave all GM customers and NASCAR fans a chance to cash in on a $10 rebate when he won the Subway Fresh 500 at Phoenix International Raceway on Saturday, April 22nd. Throughout the remainder of the 2006 NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series season, anytime the No. 29 GM Goodwrench/Reese's Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS is first past the checkers, the first 5,000 people who visit www.Goodwrench.com starting at 3 a.m. Eastern Daylight time the Monday after the win can celebrate with a $10 mail-in rebate on a customer-paid Goodwrench service(s) and/or part(s) on a GM vehicle from a participating GM Goodwrench dealership in the United States.
* Runnin It...Team GM Goodwrench will race chassis No. 154 this weekend at Richmond International Raceway. This chassis was tested at Las Vegas Motor Speedway where the GM Goodwrench team felt they had a good test.
* Chase for the NEXTEL Cup...Kevin Harvick climbed two more spots in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup point standings after his third place finish at Richmond International Raceway. Harvick now sits in the fifth position 208 markers out of the lead.
* Track Stat...Kevin Harvick has nine Cup starts at Darlington Raceway. Of those nine starts, he has compiled a record of two top-five and four top-10 finishes, one DNF, and winnings totaling $912,098.
* Laps Led/Laps Complete...Kevin Harvick has completed 2813 of 3010 laps (93.5 %) in nine Cup starts at Darlington Raceway. Of those 2813 laps complete, he has led 14 laps.
* Avg. Start/ Avg. Finish...Kevin Harvick's average starting position at Darlington Raceway is 17.0 with his best qualifying effort coming in 2001 when he started in the third position. Harvick's average finishing position is 17.4 with his best finish coming in 2003 when he finished second.
* Who's Hot...Kevin Harvick has scored all five of his 2006 top-10 finishes in the last six races as well as climbing 18 spots in the driver point standings. Havick was in the 23rd position six races ago.
* A Win for the GM Goowrench Pit Crew...Harvick's GM Goodwrench race team scored its first win of the season in the weekly Checkers® / Rally's® Double Drive-Thru Challenge competition by spending the least amount of time on pit road in Saturday night's Nextel Cup race at Richmond International Raceway. The No. 29 GM Goodwrench crew will be awarded the weekly $10,500 prize. A bonus of $105,000 will be presented by Checkers/Rally's to the team with the most pit crew challenge wins at the completion of the 36-race schedule.
* Back in Silver and Black...Kevin Harvick will be back behind the wheel of the No. 29 GM Goodwrench silver and black race car this weekend in Darlington, S.C. The orange Reese's colors will don the hood again at Lowe's Motor Speedway on Sunday, May 28th.
* Did you know....GM Goodwrench offers convenient, efficient Goodwrench Multipoint Vehicle Inspections, comprehensive diagnostic testing and complete maintenance and service capabilities. Just like a NASCAR race pit stop. GM Goodwrench is prepped to conveniently maintain and repair GM vehicles with a full line of products for one-stop service at over 7,000 GM dealership locations nationwide.
* The Service Brand...GM Goodwrench is the service brand for GM vehicles -- Chevrolet, Buick, Pontiac, GMC, HUMMER and Cadillac. With dealerships located nationwide, the GM Goodwrench network is one of the largest automotive service chains in the industry. GM Goodwrench technicians receive specialized training from General Motors to provide expert care for GM cars and trucks. Genuine GM replacement parts are manufactured to the same specifications of the GM vehicle. For more information, visit the GM Goodwrench web site at www.goodwrench.com
* Start time... On Saturday May 13th, the running of the Dodge Charger 500 is set to begin at 6:30 p.m. Eastern on F0X. If you can't catch the race on TV, it can be heard on your local MRN Radio affiliate and XM Satellite Radio -- Channel 144 starting at the same time. Remember to check your local listings as dates and times of the race may change.
No. 29 GM Goodwrench driver Kevin Harvick on Darlington Raceway...
What's your impression of Darlington?
"Darlington's tough, but I like it. It's a very narrow, fast racetrack that has a lot of history and is very prestigious to win. It's one of those places where I'd like to win a NEXTEL Cup race. Keeping the car off the walls is key when you go to Darlington. You've got to get in a rhythm there and be consistent over the long runs. You have to take care of the fenders, tires and sides of the car."
Do you still get a Darlington stripe when you race there?
"Oh yeah. Last year I think I got a couple that pretty much ended my day. It can reach out and grab you at any point, any time during the race."