JEREMY MAYFIELD QUOTES "Darlington is a tough track -- really tough. We had a top-10 finish (ninth) in the spring race there last year, and we've led a lot of laps at Darlington. It's Darlington. That's all that needs to be...
JEREMY MAYFIELD QUOTES
"Darlington is a tough track -- really tough. We had a top-10 finish (ninth) in the spring race there last year, and we've led a lot of laps at Darlington. It's Darlington. That's all that needs to be said.
"After a slow start this season, the performance has really improved the last four races. We realized we had a problem early and went to work to correct it. It's been a team effort, a lot of hard work by everybody on the No. 19 Dodge Charger team. Slugger (Labbe) and I are communicating better; the team is working together. We're still not where we want to be, but I think we've done the work to put ourselves in a position to get there. Our goal is to make The Chase again this year."
STATS & FACTS
JEREMY MAYFIELD AT DARLINGTON
* This weekend will mark Mayfield's 22nd start at Darlington. He has earned one pole, five top-five and seven top-10 finishes at the track. Mayfield has led seven Darlington races for a total of 320 laps led.
* Mayfield earned his best finish at Darlington by moving up nine spots from his 11th place starting position to finish second in the spring race of 1999. Mayfield earned his best start at Darlington in the 2000 spring race when he started from the pole, but finished 41st due to an accident.
MAYFIELD REACHED MILESTONE AT DARLINGTON
* Mayfield's first laps ever led in a NASCAR Cup Series race came at Darlington in March of 1995 when he led once for 18 laps in the Transouth Financial 400. He started 35th and finished 31st.
NEW EVERNHAM MOTORSPORTS CHASSIS
* The No. 19 Dodge team has been very pleased with the brand new Evernham Motorsports chassis that it has run this year. The team will run the same in-house chassis No. 112 that it brought to Bristol earlier this year. Mayfield ran competitively in the car all day despite suffering from two dead car batteries. He finished 17th due to the unscheduled pit stops, but he claimed that his Dodge Charger was the best race car he had ever driven at the track.
* The No. 19 Dew Crew roster has added Donald Marvel as rear tire carrier starting this weekend at Darlington.
MOVING ON UP
* After racing at Talladega Mayfield ranks 12th in the NASCAR Nextel Cup Series point standings. He is only three points away from breaking in to the top ten and 100 points away from the top five.
* In the past six races, Mayfield has moved up 14 spots in the standings (from 26th).
* After testing at Kentucky Speedway in March, Mayfield's No.19 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge Charger team improved upon breakthrough aerodynamic changes originally discovered in the Atlanta race. Mayfield was pleased to announce, "We said we were going to test our butts off at Kentucky and really figure it out. We hit on something that's going to be huge for us the rest of the year. It will get the aero balance back where it needs to be. This is definitely going to be the turning point of our season."