Target Team Facts: * Championship Standings: With just two races remaining, Casey Mears and the Target Team sit 22nd in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup standings. So far this season the team has amassed two poles, one top-five and...
Target Team Facts:
* Championship Standings: With just two races remaining, Casey Mears and the Target Team sit 22nd in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup standings. So far this season the team has amassed two poles, one top-five and nine top-10 finishes.
* Darlington: Mears has competed in just one Southern 500 and three NASCAR NEXTEL Cup races at Darlington Raceway. He finished 35th in the race last fall after a mid-race incident took him out of contention for the win. His best finish at the 1.366-mile track is 15th, which he accomplished in March of this year.
* So close: Mears was on his way to a career-best finish last weekend when a blown tire sent him into the wall with just six laps remaining at Phoenix International Raceway. Mears was running third in the Target Dodge at the time.
* Chassis: Crew chief Jimmy Elledge and the Target Team are bringing chassis #402 for the infamous Southern 500 this weekend. Chassis #402 was most recently run at Kansas and sat on the pole at Indianapolis and has finished in the top 10 four times already this season.
* Testing: Mears and the team are testing the Target Dodge at Homestead-Miami Speedway in preparation for the final race of the season. In fact, Mears is testing with the car he will run at Darlington this weekend.
Casey Mears Quotes:
On Darlington... "Last week was tough to swallow," said Mears. "I thought we were on our way to a top finish in the Target Dodge but it was taken away with just a few laps to go. Even though we finished 34th, it showed everyone on the team that we are still capable of running up front and putting ourselves in a position to bring home those top finishes. I think we will be good again this weekend in Darlington and I'm looking forward to going back and building on our 15th-place finish in March and the confidence we gained last weekend."