No. 12 Penske Dodge Charger News and Notes * This week's Charger... The No. 12 Penske Dodge team will race chassis PRS-607 during Saturday's 400-mile NASCAR Cup Series event at Chicagoland Speedway. PRS-607 last saw action in April at ...
No. 12 Penske Dodge Charger News and Notes
* This week's Charger... The No. 12 Penske Dodge team will race chassis PRS-607 during Saturday's 400-mile NASCAR Cup Series event at Chicagoland Speedway. PRS-607 last saw action in April at Phoenix International Raceway where driver David Stremme crossed the finish line in the 18th spot.
* Looking Back... Stremme, a native of nearby South Bend, Ind., made his first-ever NASCAR Cup Series start at the 1.5-mile Chicagoland Speedway during the 2005 season. He started on the outside of the 15th row and finished in the 16th spot. He completed all 167 laps.
* Smart Move... Stremme, along with his Penske Racing teammates, will participate in the Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy NASCAR Challenge at Chicago's Soldier Field at 12 p.m. CT on Friday, July 10. The event is designed to raise awareness for ways NASCAR fans can save on fuel and summer driving costs. Celebrities such as Dan Patrick and NFL Hall of Famer Dan Hampton will join NASCAR drivers behind the wheels of Mobil 1-branded Smart cars as they drive through a number of challenges in the parking lot of Soldier Field in downtown Chicago.
* Pit Crew Challenge... Stremme and members of the No.12 Penske Racing team will participate in the Avis Pit Crew Challenge on Wednesday, July 8. The No.12 team will be pitted against members of the Avis "pit crew" in a series of tasks on Avis rental cars. The first segment will be the quality assurance checks (i.e. vacuuming the inside, cleaning the windshield, cleaning out the console). The second part of the challenge will be maintenance related (i.e. changing four tires, checking the oil, changing the wiper blades). The tasks will be timed and team who competes the checklist in the fastest time wins. The losing team will have to perform a "Pit Crew Dance." The event will take place at the Chicago O'Hare Airport Avis location beginning at 3 p.m. CT. This is the second of five Avis Pit Crew Challenges that will take place during the 2009 season.
* Listen and Watch... The Lifelock.com 400 can be seen live on Saturday, July 11 on TNT beginning at 7:30 p.m. ET. The event can also be heard live on MRN radio as well as Sirius Satellite Radio, channel 128.
David Stremme on driving at Chicagoland Speedway
"Chicagoland Speedway is a special track to me. It is where I made my first NASCAR Cup Series start and is close to my hometown of South Bend, Indiana. I am going to spend a couple of days with my family and friends in South Bend before coming over to the track. Chicagoland Speedway is a great track. The race fans are great and passionate about NASCAR. I know [crew chief] Roy [McCauley] and all the guys on the Penske Dodge have been working hard on our mile-and-a-half program. We have made significant gains this season and I am looking forward to this weekend."
Crew chief Roy McCauley on racing at Chicagoland Speedway
"Chicagoland Speedway is a really neat track. We are taking the same car that ran in the top-15 all day in Phoenix. David [Stremme] really seems to really like this chassis. There are two racing grooves at Chicagoland which makes for really exciting racing. This will be the first time we run there under the lights so I think the setup will be a bit different than last year. We will have to adjust on the car all night, but I am confident we will have another strong run."