Target Team Facts: * Championship Standings: Casey Mears and the Target Team moved up one spot in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup championship standings to 16th after their 11th-place finish at Daytona. It was a personal...
Target Team Facts:
* Championship Standings: Casey Mears and the Target Team moved up one spot in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup championship standings to 16th after their 11th-place finish at Daytona. It was a personal best finish for Mears at the 2.5-mile superspeedway.
* Chassis: Elledge and the Target Team are bringing chassis #114 to Chicagoland Speedway. The team tested this chassis a few weeks ago at Chicago and was extremely pleased with the results.
* Chicago: Mears and the Target Team were having one of their best races of the year in 2003 at Chicagoland when their day was cut short on lap 235. The No. 41 Target Dodge blew a tire and hit the wall, ending the team's hopes of a top-10 finish.
* Career-Best Qualifying: Mears earned two career-best starts at Chicagoland Speedway last season. Mears qualified fourth for the NEXTEL Cup race after capturing the pole in the NASCAR Busch Series race last year. His best Cup start of the 2004 season is sixth at Texas Motor Speedway.
* Target House: Casey Mears and NASCAR legend Richard Petty will make an appearance at Target House this Wednesday in preparation for the Target House 300 at California Speedway. Target House is a home-away-from-home for families with children receiving life-saving treatment at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. As an extension of St. Jude's commitment to care for any child regardless of the family's ability to pay, Target House provides fully furnished apartments, free of charge.
Casey Mears Quotes:
On Chicago... "We had a great test at Chicago a few weeks ago," said Mears. "We took our most successful car this season, #402, and chassis #114. Chassis #114 was quicker in race trim. I'm excited about this weekend. You use a set up similar to Texas and Atlanta, and we ran great at both tracks. Chicagoland is a much smoother track overall so it makes it unique.
"We need to keep the momentum we've built up over the past couple of races going. We are making steps toward the top 10, but we need to put together some top-five finishes. There are only nine races left before the cut off for the championship, every race now is crucial."