No. 9 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge Race Facts KASEY KAHNE QUOTES ON CHARLOTTE "We learned a lot about the track in the All-Star race. It was the first time I had run at Lowe's Motor Speedway in a Cup car. We learned a lot about the brakes...
No. 9 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge Race Facts
KASEY KAHNE QUOTES
"We learned a lot about the track in the All-Star race. It was the first time I had run at Lowe's Motor Speedway in a Cup car. We learned a lot about the brakes and the things we need to do to get ready for 600. This is going to be a long, hot weekend -- particularly when you consider that I'm running 900 miles in two days between the Cup and Busch races. Charlotte's not an easy track to figure out. It changes all the time and you always have to keep up with it. I'm bringing my favorite car this weekend. Its really a well-balanced car, and it seems to drive pretty good. Hopefully this will be our weekend. Every time I come out, I always think this will be the one, so maybe this time it will be.
STATS & FACTS
KASEY KAHNE AT CHARLOTTE
* This weekend will mark Kahne's first NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series points-race at Charlotte.
* Entering this weekend, Kahne has run in the last four NASCAR Busch Series events at Charlotte. He earned his best start of sixth, and his best finish of sixth in the May race last year. He started 11th and finished eighth in his most recent start last October, earning him two top-10s at the track.
KAHNE MAKES NASCAR NEXTEL ALL-STAR CHALLENGE DEBUT
* Kahne and the Dew Crew delivered both the fastest lap and the fastest pit stop in qualifying for Saturday's All-Star Challenge, but the team was assessed a 20-second penalty for pit-road speed and started the day in the 16th position. On lap 11, aggressive driving by some of the competitors caused a major incident involving 13 of the 24 cars in the field. The No. 9 Dodge received damage to the nose and right front fender and the Dew Crew went to work under the red-flag conditions to repair the damage. Kahne finished the first segment in the 15th position, and so avoided being among the eight cars selected for the inversion. He continued to work the field in the 30-lap segment, and finished in the 12th position. When the 20-lap finale began, Kahne chased down a number of top cars to finish the day in the seventh spot -- the top rookie in the event.
ADDING UP THE POINTS
* After racing at Richmond, Kahne maintains the 11th spot in the NASCAR Nextel Cup Series points standings. He is 161 points out of the top five, and 355 points out of first place. Kahne also maintains a commanding 66 point lead in the Raybestos Rookie-of-the-Year standings.
FAST ON FRIDAYS
* Kahne's 12.09 average starting position ranks seventh on the NEXTEL Cup circuit after 11 races. He has three poles (tying him for the series lead), and has qualified in the top-five on six occasions.
QUICK OUT OF THE BOX
* Kahne earned his third Bud Pole Award of 2004 at California, putting him well on his way to challenging Ryan Newman's record six poles in a rookie season. Kahne set a qualifying record at Las Vegas for his first pole this year. He earned his second pole at Darlington just two races later, making him one of only five NASCAR drivers to earn multiple poles in their first five career starts.
GIVE ME FIVE!
* Kahne's string of three top-fives in his first four career starts made him the first driver to accomplish the feat in more than 40 years of NASCAR racing. Most recently, Curley Barker notched three top-fives in his first four Grand National starts from May to September of 1963.