No. 19 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge Race Facts JEREMY MAYFIELD QUOTES ON CHARLOTTE "I'm excited about running the 600 this weekend. We're bringing back the same car that we ran in the NEXTEL Open on Saturday. The Dew Crew did a great job ...
No. 19 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge Race Facts
JEREMY MAYFIELD QUOTES
"I'm excited about running the 600 this weekend. We're bringing back the same car that we ran in the NEXTEL Open on Saturday. The Dew Crew did a great job putting the car back together. It was a great car last week, and we know it will be a great car this week too. We've always done pretty decent at Lowe's Motor Speedway. It's one of those intermediate-type tracks that I really like. It's great to be home for these two weekends too. I want to be out on the track every weekend, but having these two races in Charlotte sort of helps you catch your breath."
PICKS FOR SUNDAY'S RACE
"My picks for this weekend are the No. 9 and 19 Dodges. But, not necessarily in that order."
STATS & FACTS
JEREMY MAYFIELD AT CHARLOTTE
* Mayfield has made 20 starts at Charlotte with one top-five and five top-10 finishes at the track. He earned his top start of third in fall of 1996 and his top finish of second in fall of 2000. Mayfield earned all five of his top-10 finishes in consecutive Charlotte races (Spring of 1999 - Spring of 2001).
* Jeremy Mayfield will celebrate his 35th birthday on Thursday, May 27th. A 24-year-old Jeremy Mayfield made his first NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series career start at Lowe's Motor Speedway on October 10th, 1993. Mayfield qualified 30th and finished the race running in 29th place, making his only race start in 1993.
MAYFIELD BEGINS 2004 SEASON IN HIGH GEAR
* After 11 races, Mayfield's average finish (18.64) is nearly eight spots ahead of what it was at this point last year. Mayfield has also earned 271 more points, and ranks 14 positions higher in the points standings than he did heading into the 2003 Coca-Cola 600.
No. 19 DEW CREW -- JACKMAN
* Ed Watkins, Jack Man for the No. 19 Dew Crew, will be out for the remainder of the season after suffering injuries to both knees in April. He is replaced by Rick Pennington for this weekend's race at Richmond. Pennington also subbed at Talladega, California and in the NEXTEL Open.
ADDING UP THE POINTS
* Mayfield remains 16th in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series points standings after Richmond. He is 169 points out of the top 10, and 241 points out of fifth place.
LAST WEEKEND IN NEXTEL OPEN
* Mayfield qualified for the Nextel All-Star Open in the fourth spot, but when the green flag dropped and the field came up to speed, the car immediately in front of Mayfield missed a shift, collecting Mayfield and sending the field behind him spinning. The race was red-flagged as the No. 19 Dodge returned to pit road for repairs. Mayfield restarted in the 15th position, but quickly moved up to fourth when the 20-lap segment ended. When the 10-lap chase began, Mayfield battled door-to-door with the fellow Dodges of Sterling Marlin and Jamie McMurray to deliver some of the evening's most exciting racing. But when McMurray's car got loose in front of Mayfield, it gave Marlin a chance to slip by Mayfield's Dodge to win the event. Mayfield came home second for the evening.