Two-time reigning Sprint Cup Series Champion Jimmie Johnson will make his 250th Cup Series start when he takes the green flag for Saturday's Sprint Cup race at Lowe's Motor Speedway. To commemorate the event, Johnson will be debuting the 2009...
Two-time reigning Sprint Cup Series Champion Jimmie Johnson will make his 250th Cup Series start when he takes the green flag for Saturday's Sprint Cup race at Lowe's Motor Speedway.
To commemorate the event, Johnson will be debuting the 2009 No. 48 Lowe's Impala SS paint scheme, which will carry a special decal honoring Johnson's 250th start on the decklid during Saturday night's event.
Starting in the Sprint Cup Series with Hendrick Motorsports in 2001, Johnson has collected 38 wins, 98 top-five and 152 top-10 finishes heading into this Saturday's race. Lowe's has been the primary sponsor on Johnson's Chevrolet since he entered the series.
To date, Johnson has visited Victory Lane 35.7% of the times he's taken the green flag at 1.5-mile Lowe's Motor Speedway. He has finished in the top-three 57% of the time.
In addition to Saturday's event, Johnson will pilot the No. 5 Lowe's Chevrolet fielded by JR Motorsports in Friday night's Nationwide Series race. In 14 Nationwide Series starts at Lowe's, Johnson has collected one top-five and four top-10 finishes.
Jimmie Johnson highlights entering 250th Sprint Cup Race:
* 15.3% of Sprint Cup Series starts have resulted in wins
* 39.4% of Sprint Cup Series starts have resulted in top-five finishes for Johnson
* 61% of Sprint Cup Series starts have ended with top-10 results
* Johnson has led 9.5% of total laps in his seven-year career
LOOKING AHEAD TO LOWE'S MOTOR SPEEDWAY, HOW WAS THE TEST? "Since the track has been repaved, we end up competitive at the end of the race to get things right, but we've had tough practice sessions in the past and tough tests in the past. The test that we had a couple of weeks ago didn't go as we wanted it to there. But I have a lot of confidence in the team and I know when we get into race conditions that our stuff will be where it needs to be. If it were the old track, I would feel more confident about it. But right now I think of it almost like I would Texas. I've won there, but it's still a very challenging track. I don't know where we're going to be and I've just got to show up ready for anything."
ON 250TH SPRINT CUP SERIES START: "I can't believe this weekend is my 250th start. I've been very lucky in my career that I've had one sponsor, Lowe's, since I started racing in the Sprint Cup Series. It somehow seems fitting that we'll be able to celebrate the occasion together at Lowe's Motor Speedway.
"I'm fortunate to be able to do what I love for a living. I'm so thankful for the success this team has had. I also know that I wouldn't be where I am today without the hard work of Chad and my guys. This sport is a total team effort and I am so lucky to have such an awesome team."
Lowe's Motor Speedway
* Johnson has made 14 Cup Series starts at Lowe's Motor Speedway, collecting five wins, eight top-five and 11 top-10 finishes.
* Johnson has two poles at the 1.5-mile track, May of 2002 and 2004.
* The Team Lowe's Racing driver has completed 96.2% (4828 of 5019) of competition laps at Lowe's Motor Speedway and has led 1169.
* Johnson has an average start and finish of 8.8 and 9.1.
* Chassis No. 504 will be the primary for Saturday night's race. Johnson has won three races from the pole in that chassis this season, Indianapolis, California and Kansas.
* Johnson's backup chassis, No. 502, was last driven to a third-place finish at Pocono Raceway in Aug.