FAST FACTS * Matt Kenseth's fourth-place finish at Atlanta Motor Speedway last Sunday marked the third straight top-five finish in the Cup Series at Atlanta, and fourth in the past five races. * For the third and final time in...
* Matt Kenseth's fourth-place finish at Atlanta Motor Speedway last Sunday marked the third straight top-five finish in the Cup Series at Atlanta, and fourth in the past five races.
* For the third and final time in 2007, Kenseth's No. 17 Ford will don the USG Sheetrock paint scheme at Texas this weekend. In the previous two outings, it finished 10th at Martinsville in April and second at Chicago in July.
* Kenseth's average finish during the Chase at TMS is 7.5; ranking second among all Chase tracks.
* Kenseth has finished in the top three in three of the past four Cup races at Texas.
* Kenseth is the all-time lap leader at Texas Motor Speedway in NASCAR * competition, leading 637 laps total; 330 in NEXTEL Cup and 307 in * Busch. In addition, he's also led nine laps in IROC.
* Kenseth has recorded 10 top-10 finishes in 12 starts in NBS competition at TMS, a series best, which includes two wins, the last one coming in the spring race when he won "free fries for America" in the Arby's car.
Kenseth on racing at Texas Motor Speedway:
"We've put together back-to-back solid finishes, which is something, it seems like, that we haven't done in a long time. I thought we had a car capable of winning at the end, and we haven't been able to say that in while, because, basically, we haven't been able to get to the end. But, it was another solid performance by our guys and hopefully that can carry over into this weekend.
"Texas is a lot like Atlanta and we've had some success there in the past. I've always enjoyed racing there. It's fast and since the pavement has aged a little bit, there are multiple grooves and once your car starts sliding around on old tires, you can kind of search out different grooves to suit the way your car's handling. I always enjoy that style of racing. It's more challenging and a lot of fun for the driver. Our car's performance is as good as it has been all year. That makes it fun to come to race track when you have that and hopefully we'll have the same this weekend."
Crew Chief Robbie Reiser on racing at Texas Motor Speedway:
"We're taking the same car to Texas that we did in the spring and it's been pretty good for us all year. It last ran at Kansas and was probably a top-five or top-eight car, but we got caught a lap down by the rain and then got caught up in the wreck on the restart afterwards. But, it's been repaired, the damage was minimal and we should be good to go.
"Texas has always been a pretty good track for us and we seem to run well there. Last week was a good one for us. We made the right adjustments towards the end of the race and was able to compete for the win, but a couple of late cautions kind of ruined our chances. Still, the guys did a good job working on the car and pitting the car throughout the race, especially when it counted. We're still out to pick up a win or two before the end of the year and our cars have been running good enough lately to where it would be a real disappointment if we weren't able to contend for each race over the next three weeks."
Kenseth on racing in the Busch Series at Texas Motor Speedway:
"Texas is a really fast track and I enjoy racing there. There are multiple grooves around the track which make for interesting racing. Anytime you can go somewhere and actually pass and run different groves around the track you know you are in for a good race. We had a really good car here in the spring and we are bringing that same car here this time around. Hopefully we can get the same result and get a win for iLevel in their last race this year with us."
Crew Chief Drew Blickensderfer on racing at Texas Motor Speedway:
"The season is winding down and I'm hoping we can finish as strong as we started. We are bringing the same car that won in the spring race at Texas and most recently finished third at Dover despite getting a little banged up. Matt and the team have a lot of confidence in this car so I think we should be able to get a solid run in this weekend."