Lowe's Motor Speedway, May 28-29, 2005 NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series: Coca-Cola 600, Sunday at 5:30 pm (ET) NASCAR Busch Series: CarQuest Auto Parts 400, Saturday at 7:10 pm (ET) NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series: ...
Lowe's Motor Speedway, May 28-29, 2005
NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series: Coca-Cola 600, Sunday at 5:30 pm (ET)
NASCAR Busch Series: CarQuest Auto Parts 400, Saturday at 7:10 pm (ET)
NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series: Off
Roush Racing Fast Facts
- Matt Kenseth scored his first NASCAR Cup Series career victory in the Coca-Cola 600 at the Lowe's Motor Speedway in 2000.
- In his eleven starts at Lowe's, Kenseth has one win, four top-five's and six top-ten finishes.
- Kenseth will be running car number 38 in the upcoming Coca-Cola 600. This is the same car that ran in Fontana earlier this year.
- Kurt Busch sits fifth in points following his 17th-place finish at Richmond two weeks ago, and remains in the top 10 NEXTEL Cup Series competition for the 46th consecutive race week (since Rockingham 2004), currently the longest streak on the circuit.
- Busch has scored only one top-10 finish in nine points starts at Lowe's Motor Speedway, a fourth there last fall. He has led four races at the speedway and suffered only one DNF.
- Busch's No. 97 Ford Taurus sports the colors of Smirnoff Ice at the Coca-Cola 600 for the first of three times this season (Daytona and Fontana).
- The Smirnoff Ice team brings chassis #62 to Charlotte, the same car that finished fourth at the speedway in the fall and third at Fontana earlier this year.
- The No. 99 Ford will carry the same Roundup paint scheme that appeared on the car in Richmond two weeks ago.
- RK-270 is the same car Carl Edwards and the No. 99 team raced in the All-Star race last weekend. A wreck late in the first segment caused damage to the right front and right rear of the No. 99 Ford but repairs were made and the car is ready to race in the Coca-Cola 600.
- Edwards currently sits 13th in the overall NEXTEL Cup point standings, 55 points out of 10th.
- Edwards will return to Busch action this week in the No. 60 Charter Ford Saturday night with a special National Guard paint scheme for the Memorial Day weekend race.
- To kick off the 600 weekend, Edwards will race in a dirt modified Wednesday night at the Lowe's dirt track.
- With a solid sixth-place finish in Richmond two weeks ago, Greg Biffle moved to second in the point standings and decreased the margin between him and Jimmie Johnson to 41 points.
- Biffle has one pole, two wins, four top-five finishes and seven top-10 finishes in the Busch Series at Lowe's Motor Speedway.
- Biffle has posted his best-ever Cup Series finishes at seven of the eleven tracks the series has visited this season and hopes to easily top his best-ever 16th place finish in a points race at Lowe's Motor Speedway this weekend.
- Mark Martin has four wins at Lowe's Motor Speedway, including one in the Coca-Cola 600.
- Martin's four wins at Lowe's tie for the most of any active driver.
- Martin won the All-Star Challenge at Lowe's last Saturday in a dominating victory.
- Martin has 19 top-10 and 15 top-5 finishes at Lowe's Motor Speedway.
- Martin has led 1,148 laps at Lowe's, the most of any active driver.
- Martin has won six Busch races at Lowe's and the All-Star event in 1998 and 2005.
- Martin has not finished in the top-10 at Lowe's in the last five points races.
Team: No. 6 Viagra® Ford Taurus
Crew Chief: Pat Tryson
Chassis: RK-247 (Finished 20th at Texas earlier this year.)
Mark Martin on racing at Lowe's Motor Speedway: "I tell you what I love Lowe's Motor Speedway. In my opinion, it's the greatest place to race in the world. I can remember the first time that I ever went there in 1981 and thinking 'wow' this is just like a small quarter-mile track somewhere, except it's huge, but you could race just like that. Every time I go there the first thing I do after the first lap is radio the team and tell them how awesome that track is. To me, it just doesn't get much better and after Saturday night we can't wait to take a crack at the 600.
"I love racing in the 600 and this team is excited about what we have going on. We have some great tracks coming up for us, even after the 600, and we'd love to get on a little bit of a roll here in the next couple of months. Pat Tryson and this Viagra Team have done a wonderful job and it's just great to be a part of this team. We had a great run in the All-Star and got the victory and we'll be gunning for the same thing this weekend in the Coca-Cola 600. I know we have the team to do it."
Crew Chief Pat Tryson on racing at Lowe's Motor Speedway: "I don't think it's a secret that Mark really loves racing at Charlotte and anytime you can go to a track that the driver loves, it's great. Now it also means that you have a certain amount of pressure, because your stuff better be right. We tested here a couple of weeks ago and really liked what we had, so I'm excited about this weekend and the team can't wait to get that car back out on the track at Lowe's."
Team: No. 16 National Guard Ford Taurus
Crew Chief: Doug Richert
Chassis: RK-299 (New racecar)
Greg Biffle on racing at Lowe's Motor Speedway: "We tested in Charlotte a couple of weeks ago and feel pretty good about the car we're taking. It's a new car but it is similar to the car we won with in Texas. Our tire blow-out in the All-Star race is a little concerning. We'll have to figure out what caused that and make sure it doesn't happen again but other than that, I feel pretty confident with the car we're taking. It should be a good race for us."
Crew Chief Doug Richert on racing at Lowe's Motor Speedway: "We tested this car a couple of weeks ago here in Charlotte and it was the faster of the two we tested. The blown tire in the All-Star race is a concern and we are working very hard to make sure that doesn't happen this weekend. Greg liked the feel of this car in the test, so if we can get the handling right, we should get a pretty good finish out of it.
Team: No. 17 DEWALT Ford Taurus
Crew Chief: Robbie Reiser
Chassis: #38 (Ran at Fontana earlier this season)
Matt Kenseth on racing at Lowe's Motor Speedway: "Lowe's Motor Speedway is definitely one of my favorite tracks. It's particularly special to me because I got my first Cup win here back in 2000. We've come away with good finishes the last couple of years here, so I'm looking forward to the 600. It is the longest race of the year, so it will be challenging, but it should be fun."
Crew Chief Robbie Reiser on racing at Lowe's Motor Speedway: "We've had some good finishes here at Lowe's so I'll think we'll be in good shape for the 600. We're bringing car number 38 this weekend, the same car we ran in Fontana for the first time earlier this year. The car was strong in Fontana, but we didn't get the finish we should have out of it. We were running in the top-ten when we cut a tire down with less than twenty laps to go. But the car was fast and I think we'll be competitive this weekend."
Team: No. 97 Smirnoff Ice/IRWIN Industrial Tools/Sharpie Ford Taurus
Crew Chief: Jimmy Fennig
Chassis: #62 (Finished third at Fontana earlier this year.)
Kurt Busch on racing at Lowe's Motor Speedway: "We were a little too aggressive on our setup last week for the All-Star Challenge. This new track is definitely different; it's more like Texas than it is like Charlotte now, so we've got to revert back to some of those notes for next week in the Coca-Cola 600. We've got our Smirnoff Ice scheme at Lowe's for the first time this year. Last year we had a nice run with it at Darlington, and we'd love to pick up another top 10 with it this weekend in the 600."
Crew Chief Jimmy Fennig on racing at Lowe's Motor Speedway: "We've got a good car to take this weekend, its one we've run really well with this year and last year. We're going to have to go back and look at our notes a little more with this new track surface. But we'll be able to try a lot of things over 600 miles and get this thing figured out."
Team: No.99 Roundup Ford Taurus
Crew Chief: Bob Osborne
Chassis: RK-270 (The same car that raced in the All-Star Challenge.)
Carl Edwards on racing at Lowe's Motor Speedway: "I'm really looking forward to this weekend. We didn't test at Lowe's Motor Speedway so we kind of used the All-Star race as our test session. I think we were ok. We learned some things and I think once we get the Roundup Ford dialed in we'll be good. Sunday night is a long race and I think that will be good for me. I think as the night goes on people will get tired and make mistakes and hopefully I'll be able to take advantage of that."
Crew Chief Bob Osborne on racing at Lowe's Motor Speedway: "We're taking the same car we raced last week at the All-Star race. We had a little bit of damage to the right front and right rear of the car but the guys worked real hard this week to make repairs and I think we should be good to go for the 600. We used last week as a test session and I think we learned a few things that will help make us better for this weekend. We need to have a solid run this weekend to bounce back into the top-10 in points then we'll go from there. I think we are more than capable of that in the Roundup Ford."
Team: No. 60 Charter Communications Ford Taurus
Crew Chief: Brad Parrott
Carl Edwards on racing at Lowe's Motor Speedway: "I am really putting a lot of effort into the races here in Charlotte and trying to get prepared. I think Brad Parrott has done a great job. We had a test at Lowe's and learned a lot with our Charter Ford. I really look forward to racing the No. 60 Ford Taurus this weekend at Lowe's. The Cup car was really fun there. I had a great time racing the truck there last year. I think getting to run the All-Star Race there helped, even though we didn't get to run all the laps. We had a little trouble, but I still learned things that I think are going to help me with the Busch car. I am pretty pumped about the Busch race!"
Crew Chief Brad Parrott on racing at Lowe's Motor Speedway: "The Charter Communications Team is ready to go into Charlotte. We weren't totally happy with our Charlotte test, we got rained out the second part, but came back home and made some changes. We can use a little information from Carl's set-up from last weekends NEXTEL All-Star Race. We are really looking forward to the high speed of Lowe's Motor Speedway. You have to have your i's dotted and your t's crossed for Lowe's and we look forward to coming out of there with a top-three finish."