NOTES: * This Week's Race Car at Bristol Motor Speedway, Chassis No. 105, had strong back-to-back runs earlier this year in March, helping Gordon and Team Cingular get their best finish so far this season at Darlington Raceway, finishing fourth...
* This Week's Race Car at Bristol Motor Speedway, Chassis No. 105, had strong back-to-back runs earlier this year in March, helping Gordon and Team Cingular get their best finish so far this season at Darlington Raceway, finishing fourth after starting 29th. The weekend before, Gordon and crew finished 17th with the same car in Atlanta, and then went on to finish 19th at Bristol and Richmond. The most recent run was at New Hampshire International Speedway, where Gordon started 21st and finished 25th.
* Testing at BMS ... To prepare for the upcoming 500-lap event this weekend at Bristol Motor Speedway, Gordon and Team Cingular tested at the short track August 10 and 11. Chassis No. 105 is one of the cars they tested at Bristol earlier this month.
* Gordon preparing for tripleheader ... Gordon will compete in all three NASCAR Series events at Bristol Motor Speedway this week, including the O'Reilly 200 Craftsman truck race Wednesday night, the Food City 250 Busch race Friday night and the Sharpie 500 Cup race Saturday night.
* Bad to the bone ... Gordon's return to the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series (NCTS) this Wednesday night will be in the No. 47 Acxiom Morgan Dollar Motorsports Silverado with a special paint scheme showcasing George Thorogood and the 30-year anniversary of his Bad to the Bone tour on the hood. Gordon's three previous NCTS starts were at North Wilkesboro and Las Vegas in 1996 and October 1997 at California Speedway. (GM PR, 08.22.04) Gordon's Bristol truck effort comes as part of Chevrolet's Team Silverado/American Revolution program which puts NASCAR Cup Series racers behind the wheel of a truck. (Bristol PR, 08.18.04) The O'Reilly 200 truck race is scheduled to start at 9 p.m. EDT Wednesday night and will broadcast LIVE on SPEED and MRN.
* Gordon's running the fruit, too ... Gordon also will drive his own No. 55 Fruit of the Loom Chevrolet Monte Carlo in Friday night's NASCAR Busch Series Food City 250 race at BMS, which is scheduled to start at 8 p.m. EDT and will broadcast LIVE on TNT, PRN and XM Radio.
* Listen and watch ... The Sharpie 500 is scheduled to start at 7:30 p.m. EDT Sat., August 28, and will broadcast LIVE on TNT, PRN and XM Radio. Qualifying for the Sharpie 500 is scheduled to start at 3:10 p.m. EDT Fri., August 27, and will broadcast LIVE on SPEED, PRN and XM Radio.
Team Cingular Quotes:
R. Gordon on racing at Bristol Motor Speedway:
"It's going to be a busy week for me at Bristol, but that's the way I like it. I've never done a triple before so it's pretty big for us. I think it is definitely going to work in my favor, especially for Team Cingular. Bristol is a race track where experience does help. It's all about building momentum and rhythm. I will be able to take things from the truck race Wednesday and apply that to the Busch race Friday and then take from both of those experiences and apply that to Saturday night's race.
"I like Bristol because it's a driver's race track for sure. You have to be up on the wheel all day long and at the same time you have to be able to handle it without letting up. It is 100 percent focus and concentration for 500 laps straight. I still haven't had the success I would like to have there. Half the battle at these race tracks is learning what not to do, so I think have that part of the learning curve covered. If there was such a thing as a Bristol Motor Speedway drivers' education class, I guess you could say it's time for me to graduate."