JEREMY MAYFIELD QUOTES ON VICTORY AT MICHIGAN: "To be back in victory lane and to get Dodge its second win of the year and to win the other day like we did was pretty cool. It took a whole team effort to do that. It took a lot of...
JEREMY MAYFIELD QUOTES
ON VICTORY AT MICHIGAN:
"To be back in victory lane and to get Dodge its second win of the year and to win the other day like we did was pretty cool. It took a whole team effort to do that. It took a lot of confidence in each other, the crew, the driver, the gasman, everybody involved. I thought it was pretty neat to do that. It took a whole team effort."
ON STRATEGY AT BRISTOL:
"We're going to go into Bristol like we always do, opened minded, knowing we've got to get all the points we can. We've got to put last week behind us and go there to win the race or be in position at the end if not to gain a lot of points. We're a lot better off in the points than we were last year, but we're not going to drop our guard down and go there not to win the race. We're going to go there to get all we can.
"Bristol is hard enough as it is so if you go there trying to take it easy you'll get yourself in trouble. We'll just race the race track the same way we have. We've had several good runs there, so I feel like we should be in good shape."
"The good thing about Bristol is some bad stuff can happen, but you're not at an aero track where if you mess the fender up you're going to be done for the rest of the day, or if you tear the side off of it you're for sure done with it. You can rip both sides off of it and rip the nose off it and you can still win the race at Bristol. That's the good thing about it. If you do have a bad day you can still maintain a decent finish out of it. On these other tracks you wouldn't be able to do that. It has its plusses and minuses on bad things happening, but you've just got to go into like we've been going. We go as hard as we can and try to get as many points as we can and try to win the race. We're not going to change anything. We're going with the same focus we've had all year and do the best we can for that day."
STATS & FACTS
JEREMY MAYFIELD AT BRISTOL
* This marks Mayfield's 22nd career visit to Bristol Motor Speedway. He has two top-fives, five top-10s and has led three races for a total of 352 laps at the track. Mayfield's first start at Bristol came in August of 1994, where he started 25th and finished 21st.
* Mayfield earned his best finish at Bristol by moving up 27 spots from his 30th place starting position to finish third in the spring race of 2001. Mayfield earned his best start at Bristol in spring of 2002 when he started a season-high third place. He finished 14th that day.
* Mayfield finished 22nd in the fall race one year ago and 17th in his most recent finish at the track, this spring. He has scored only one top-10 finish in his last eight races at Bristol (finished 10th, 2000-B).
MAYFIELD WINS AT MICHIGAN!!!
* Mayfield scored his fifth career NASCAR Nextel Cup victory in his 368th career start in Sunday's GFS Marketplace 400 at Michigan International Speedway.
* The victory was Mayfield's second win at Evernham Motorsports, and his first career win at Michigan.
* The win marked the first time in team history that two Evernham Motorsports teammates had each won a Nextel Cup race in the same season.
* The win was also the first Dodge Charger victory at MIS since Richard Petty drove to the checkered flag in August, 1975.
* Mayfield has assumed the sixth position in the NASCAR Cup Series rankings for the first time in his career since February of 2000.
* Mayfield has never ranked higher than sixth after 23 races in a Cup season. The last time he ranked this high so late into a season was in 1998, when he alternated between sixth and seventh in the standings throughout the final 14 races of the season. He finished the season a career-high seventh-place ranking.
MAYFIELD MOVES INTO SIXTH IN POINTS RACE
* Mayfield is on pace to repeat as a Chase contender in 2005. He surged to sixth in the points standings after his victory at Michigan, and is just 30 points out of the fifth spot in the standings.
* Mayfield's current point total of 2,869 is 83 points greater than his total after 23 races in 2004. Mayfield qualified for the 2004 Chase for the Nextel Cup by just 22 points after a thrilling victory at Richmond.
* Mayfield has climbed from a low rank of 26th after Las Vegas to a season-high sixth-place ranking.
LEAVING NOTHING ON THE TABLE
* Mayfield ranks second on the Nextel Cup circuit in laps completed (99.3%) among drivers who have competed in every race this year. Mayfield has finished 16 of 23 races on the lead lap, and he has only one DNF in 2005.
2005 CAREER BESTS
* Mayfield marked up his first career victory at the two-mile Michigan Int'l Speedway.
* Mayfield's fourth place finish at Indianapolis this month was a career-high finish at the historic track. Mayfield also notched a career-best finish at Talladega when he finished fourth there in April, and he tied his career-best seventh place finish at Infineon Raceway in June.