Carl Edwards on racing at Bristol Motor Speedway: "The new surface at Bristol is extremely competitive. Now there are three lines and you can run anywhere on the race track. It used to be everyone was fighting for the bottom of the race track...
Carl Edwards on racing at Bristol Motor Speedway:
"The new surface at Bristol is extremely competitive. Now there are three lines and you can run anywhere on the race track. It used to be everyone was fighting for the bottom of the race track and now everybody can run side by side. It makes it more competitive in that you just can't get away from somebody. They can always hound you. Your car has to be perfect. You have to qualify well and it is hard to pass. It is a grueling race because there is a lot that can happen. Going into Bristol with a big points cushion allows a driver be more aggressive there. If not, we have to race smart and conservatively there and get as many points as we can. Bristol is the battle, but the war is The Chase. We need to be in The Chase."
Crew chief Bob Osborne on racing at Bristol Motor Speedway:
"Bristol is a tough track. It doesn't take much to get caught up in someone else's accident. We had a good run in the spring since we were able to qualify well and stay up front. Qualifying is important at Bristol to start up front, get a good pit stall and stay up front all night. This Aflac team has made huge gains in the past six weeks so we need to stay out of trouble and keep the momentum going with only a few races until the Chase."
* Carl Edwards enters Bristol sixth in the NASCAR Sprint Cup point standings, 414 markers behind point leader Kevin Harvick. He has earned five top fives, 12 top 10s and one pole this season. He is 266 points ahead of 13th place with three races left before the Chase.
* FOR THE RECORD: In 12 starts at the 0.533-mile bullring, Edwards has two wins, three top-five, five top-10 finishes and one pole. His average start is 22.7, and his average finish is 13.4. Edwards has completed 5843 of 6013 (97,2%) laps attempted at Bristol.
* IN THE LOOP: According to NASCAR's Loop Statistics compiled over the last 12 races at Bristol, Edwards has turned 224 of the track's fastest laps which is sixth highest, spent 3,455 laps (62.7%) in the top 15 and led a total of 282 laps.
* ON THE TRACK:The No. 99 will carry the silver Aflac paint scheme at Bristol. The crew will unload RK-596 for the weekend. Edwards most recently raced this car at Dover in May (finished 8th) and Bristol in March (finished 6th).
* REWIND, BRISTOL, AUGUST 2009: After starting 32nd, fighting an ill-handling race car and falling a lap down early in the race, Edwards still managed to gain his lap back with 60 laps to go and finish the race in 16th place.