No. 19 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge Driver: Jeremy Mayfield Team Director: Kenny Francis Team Owner: Ray Evernham Jeremy Mayfield Quotes RACING AT ATLANTA "Atlanta is one of the fastest tracks we race on. You have to have the total...
No. 19 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge
Driver: Jeremy Mayfield
Team Director: Kenny Francis
Team Owner: Ray Evernham
Jeremy Mayfield Quotes
RACING AT ATLANTA
"Atlanta is one of the fastest tracks we race on. You have to have the total package there, from handling to aerodynamics. We had a great run there in the fall last year and I think we can improve upon it. The No. 9 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge team tested there before Vegas, so we can draw some information from them and hopefully have a good weekend."
PREVIOUS RACE AT LAS VEGAS
"That was a pretty disappointing race because I thought we had a great shot to win. As soon as the race started I had handling problems. But, the Dew Crew worked hard all day long and we gradually made adjustments that made the car better. We were able to stay on the lead lap and come away with a top-15 finish, which was great considering how the day started. I'm proud of my guys and I think we can break into the top 10 this weekend, if not win."
STATS & FACTS
CAREER AT ATLANTA
* This weekend's race marks Mayfield's 313th career start in the NASCAR Nextel Cup Series and 17th visit to Atlanta Motor Speedway. Mayfield has three top-fives, four top-10s, and has led four races for a total of 59 laps led at the racetrack.
* Mayfield has two third-place finishes to claim as his career bests at Atlanta -- starting from the 26th spot in the spring race of 1998 and the 23rd position in the fall race of 1999. He earned his best qualifying effort at the track in March of 1996, starting the race in the fourth position.
MAYFIELD REACHED MILESTONE AT ATLANTA
* Jeremy Mayfield raced to his first NASCAR Winston Cup Series career top-five finish in the 1996 spring race at Atlanta Motor Speedway. He started in the fourth position and led four laps before finishing fifth behind race-winner, Dale Earnhardt Sr. Mayfield earned his first top-10 finish in the fall race at Pocono in 1995.
MOST RECENT RUN AT ATLANTA
* In fall of 2003, once again Mayfield and the Dew Crew showed their mettle after a miscue with the caution flag on lap 104 (after a round of pit stops). The team pulled together and refused to settle for anything less than a top-10 finish. Kenny Francis made only minor adjustments to Mayfield's Dodge while Mayfield deftly maneuvered through the lapped traffic. On lap 201, Mayfield occupied the right position, the first car one lap down and received the "lucky dog" pass, moving onto the lead lap. That's all Mayfield and the Dew Crew needed as the Kentucky-native spent the rest of the race picking off spots. With 50 laps to go, Mayfield was sitting in ninth position. He gained two more spots in the closing laps to finish seventh on the day.
* Last Sunday, Mayfield started sixth in the UAW-DaimlerChrysler 400 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. The No. 19 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge battled handling problems all day, but the Dew Crew made adjustments during each pit stop, which gradually made the car better. Mayfield managed to stay on the lead lap and finished 14th.
ADDING UP THE POINTS
* After finishing 14th last Sunday in Las Vegas, Mayfield moved up four spots to 14th in the NASCAR Nextel Cup point standings. He is just 28 points out of the top 10.