Jeremy Mayfield No. 19 Dodge Dealers Intrepid RACING AT ATLANTA "I've always liked racing at Atlanta, and this track has been good to me throughout the years. I got my first top-five finish here back in '96. This is definitely a fast...
No. 19 Dodge Dealers Intrepid
RACING AT ATLANTA
"I've always liked racing at Atlanta, and this track has been good to me throughout the years. I got my first top-five finish here back in '96. This is definitely a fast racetrack, so qualifying is always a little hairy here with that wall jumping out at you. Track position is always important at Atlanta. These days it seems like everything has to be perfect. In last year's race we were worried about the one-engine rule, but we've had a year with it now and we feel like we've adjusted to it pretty well. It's important at a track like this though, because we run so fast here."
"Kenny and the guys have really been clicking. We feel like our deal is really headed in the right direction. I had a little trouble getting into the pits on Sunday and that hurt us. But the chemistry on this team is great, and it won't be too long before everyone's hard work pays off."
Jeremy Mayfield is scheduled to drive the No. 19 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge that he raced at Darlington (b) and Atlanta (b), with a top-finish of 20th at Darlington.
CAREER AT ATLANTA
* This weekend's race marks Mayfield's 277th career start in the NASCAR Winston Cup Series and 15th visit to Atlanta Motor Speedway. Mayfield has three top-fives, three top-10s, and has led four races for a total of 59 laps led at the racetrack.
* Mayfield has two third-place finishes to claim as his career bests at Atlanta - starting from the 26th spot in the spring race of 1998 and the 23rd position in the fall race of 1999. He earned his best qualifying effort at the track in March of 1996, starting the race in the fourth position.
MAYFIELD REACHED MILESTONE AT ATLANTA
* Jeremy Mayfield raced to his first NASCAR Winston Cup Series career top-five finish in the 1996 spring race at Atlanta Motor Speedway. He started in the fourth position and led four laps before finishing fifth behind race-winner, Dale Earnhardt Sr. Mayfield earned his first top-10 finish in the fall race at Pocono in 1995.
MOST RECENT RUN AT ATLANTA
* Mayfield started the 2002 fall race at Atlanta Motor Speedway in 26th place and managed to avoid major damage to his No. 19 Dodge Intrepid after the No. 43 car spun next to him. Mayfield was working through race traffic when the red flag for rain was issued. When the race resumed, Mayfield reported that he needed to tighten his No. 19 Dodge. On lap 69 he sat in 23rd place. For the remainder of the race the Dew Crew made the necessary adjustments requested by Mayfield, due in part to changing track conditions, to improve the handling of his Dodge. He ended the day in 27th place.
* Last weekend in Las Vegas, Mayfield started the 267-lap event in 13th place and worked hard to bring home a 21st place finish after a problem on his first pit stop. Mayfield reported tightness with his No. 19 Dodge early in the race. He was fighting the condition as he came in for his first pit stop when his brakes locked up. The Dew Crew worked fast and sent Mayfield out with an air pressure and trackbar adjustment. He worked to make up track position while talking with team director Kenny Francis to help improve the handling of his Dodge. Mayfield's Dodge started to come to him in the closing laps, and he battled his way to finish in 21st place. Mayfield loses two spots in the Winston Cup points. He sits in 24th place, 72 points out of the top 10 and just 179 points out of first place.
WINSTON CUP CAREER RECORD
* Coming into the 2003 Bass Pro Shops MBNA 500 at Atlanta Motor Speedway, Mayfield has made 276 starts, with six poles (two at Talladega and one at Darlington, Dover, Rockingham, and Texas), three wins (two at Pocono, and one at California), 35 top-fives and 63 top-10s. His most recent win came at Pocono in June of 2000. His last pole came at the Pop Secret Popcorn 400 in Rockingham, N.C. in 2000.