Reed Sorenson, No. 39 Discount Tire Dodge No. 41 TEAM FACTS: * NEXTEL Cup Debut: Reed Sorenson is attempting to make his first NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series race this weekend in Atlanta. Sorenson, who grew up in nearby Peachtree City, will...
Reed Sorenson, No. 39 Discount Tire Dodge
No. 41 TEAM FACTS:
* NEXTEL Cup Debut: Reed Sorenson is attempting to make his first NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series race this weekend in Atlanta. Sorenson, who grew up in nearby Peachtree City, will qualify for his first of two NEXTEL Cup races he is scheduled to run in the No. 39 Discount Tire Dodge. He will also try his hand in Texas the following week.
* Unveiling the 2006 Busch Series Paint Scheme: The No. 39 Discount Tire Dodge will be sporting the paint scheme that the No. 41 Dodge will look like in the Busch Series for the 2006 season. Sorenson and Discount Tire will be unveiling next year's paint scheme when they hit the track this weekend for the first practice.
* Atlanta Native: Atlanta Motor Speedway is very important to the 19-year-old Busch Series rookie since it is a venue where he began making a name for himself in his racing career. In five full seasons of Legends racing and 183 starts, Sorenson amassed over 84 wins, 152 top-fives and 166 top-10 finishes.
* Testing: Sorenson and the No. 39 team tested at Atlanta Motor Speedway last week in preparation for his NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series debut in the MBNA 500. Since the Busch Series is off, Sorenson will be focusing solely on the No. 39 DTC Dodge at the track.
* Chassis: The Discount Tire team will race chassis #114 at Atlanta this weekend. Sorenson will be the third Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates team member to drive this car this season. Casey Mears drove this car in the first race at Atlanta and Pocono, while Sterling Marlin drove the car in Michigan, Fontana and Dover.
* Countdown to Green: Sorenson will be waving the green-flag at the First Annual Papa John's Invitational Legends Races this Friday night. After qualifying, Sorenson will be on hand to start the first all-star legends race. The race is invite only and will have one of the largest purses for a legends race. Sorenson himself raced legends cars at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
* 2005 Season: Sorenson has been running the full Busch Series schedule in the No. 41 Discount Tire Dodge. In 31 starts this season he has two wins, two poles, 11 top-five and 17 top-10 finishes. He is also currently second in the rookie of the year race to Carl Edwards.
REED SORENSON QUOTES:
What are you doing to prepare yourself for your first Cup start this weekend in Atlanta?
"I really don't know what to do to prepare myself. After I race and I can tell you what maybe I should have done. I've talked to my teammate Casey Mears and I've talked to David Stremme a little bit. David made his Cup debut at Chicago and ran at Charlotte a couple of weeks ago. I've talked to him and tried to get some advice from him, and Casey has been helping me out as well. I am a little nervous for this weekend but I will feel better after qualifying. That is always the hardest part when you don't have points and you have to make it in on time. I am happy to have Discount Tire on board with me for the debut. They have been a great partner in the Busch Series this year and I will be running again with them next season. They have been great at supporting me in all of my new adventures. I am just excited to qualify this weekend in Atlanta and again in the Cup car next weekend in Texas."