Carl Edwards on racing at Atlanta Motor Speedway: "I can't wait to go to Atlanta Motor Speedway. It's in Aflac's backyard and we are running a special Scotts paint scheme to commemorate my first NASCAR Sprint Cup win there. The track is great.
Carl Edwards on racing at Atlanta Motor Speedway:
"I can't wait to go to Atlanta Motor Speedway. It's in Aflac's backyard and we are running a special Scotts paint scheme to commemorate my first NASCAR Sprint Cup win there. The track is great. It's multi-grooved, fast, fun and has a lot of history. The fans there are awesome. The track is similar to Las Vegas where we made significant improvements, but we still need to work on it. This weekend means a lot to me and I can't wait to race there."
Crew chief Bob Osborne on racing at Atlanta Motor Speedway:
"Atlanta has always been a very good track for Carl. He's won there three times, including his first Cup and Nationwide wins in 2005. I feel like we made a lot of progress as a team in Vegas last weekend and hope we can keep that momentum going at Atlanta. We had a really good car in Vegas, but we got behind during that long green-flag run in the middle of the race and didn't have time to recover from that before the race ended. Our pit crew has been amazing this year so we just need to put it all together."
* Carl Edwards enters Atlanta 10th in the NASCAR Sprint Cup point standings, 117 markers behind point leader Kevin Harvick. He has earned one top-10 finish this season.
* FOR THE RECORD... In 11 starts at the 1.54-mile Atlanta track, Edwards has three wins, six top-five and eight top-10 finishes. His average start is 11.0, and his average finish is 13.1. Edwards has completed 3498 of 3584 (97.6%) laps attempted at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
* IN THE LOOP... According to NASCAR's Loop Statistics compiled over the last 11 races at Atlanta, Edwards has turned 289 of the track's fastest laps which is a series high, spent 2,593 laps (79.6%) in the top 15 and led a total of 299 laps. Edwards' driver rating is second best among active drivers.
* ON THE TRACK...The No. 99 will carry a retro Scotts paint scheme at Atlanta to commemorate Edwards' first Cup win there in 2005. The No. 99 crew will unload RK-639 for the weekend. Edwards raced this car at Kansas (10th), Michigan in June (fourth) and Texas in April (10th) in 2009.
* REWIND, ATLANTA, MARCH 2009... Edwards had a strong car all day, but lost track position on each pit stop after being boxed in due to a bad pit stall. When the final caution came on lap 321 the team took only two tires to avoid getting trapped in the pits and assumed the lead. He was passed by only two cars with four fresh tires to finish third.