No. 12 Penske Dodge Charger News and Notes * This Week's Charger... The No. 12 Penske Dodge team will use chassis PRS-558 during Saturday night's All-Star event. PRS-558 last saw racing action in the summer of 2008 at Michigan International ...
No. 12 Penske Dodge Charger News and Notes
* This Week's Charger... The No. 12 Penske Dodge team will use chassis PRS-558 during Saturday night's All-Star event. PRS-558 last saw racing action in the summer of 2008 at Michigan International Speedway where it crossed the finish line in the 42nd spot after suffering an engine failure.
* Come and See Me... Driver David Stremme will be signing autographs at the Penske Racing souvenir trailer on Saturday, May 16th at 2:45 pm EST. The Penske Racing trailer is located on souvenir row at the Lowe's Motor Speedway.
* Home Track... Rear Tire carrier, Trent Cherry, calls Concord, North Carolina home. The 31-year-old father of one spends his days at Penske Racing serving as the pit crew coach for all four NASCAR teams. Cherry spent his college years at Lenore Ryan University College, where he was the quarterback for the school's football team.
* New Coach... Penske Racing has added a new member to its team. Sean Powell has joined the organization as head strength and conditioning coach. Powell comes to Penske Racing from the NFL's Carolina Panthers where he worked for eight seasons with the team. Powell's day-to-day responsibilities include creating and executing workouts for the entire Penske Racing organization.
* Past Winner... The No.12 team won the All-Star race with driver Ryan Newman in 2002. In that race, the team started 27th, but battled throughout the race to capture the victory. Stremme will try to race the No. 12 into the main event by competing in the Showdown on Saturday evening. * Watch and Listen... The NASCAR All-Star Showdown can be seen live Saturday, May 16 on SPEED. Race coverage is scheduled to begin at 7 pm ET. The event can also be heard live on MRN Radio as well as Sirius Satellite Radio, channel 128.
David Stremme on racing in the NASCAR All-Star Showdown
"The NASCAR All-Star Showdown is a cool event. It is fun for the teams because there are no points on the line. You can put yourself in positions you normally wouldn't, because it is all or nothing. We have to first get our Dodge in the main event by racing our way in. I know the guys are working really hard on the car and feel really good about our chances. We have shown our strength on the mile-and-a-half tracks this year and I am excited about this weekend's race."
Crew chief Roy McCauley on the All-Star Showdown
"The All-Star race is a great event for the fans. The show seems to get better and better each year. I am sure this year will be no exception. We have two goals for Saturday. The first is to make the main event. I know David [Stremme] is eager and capable of making into the All-Star event. Last year, (Penske Racing teammate) Sam [Hornish, Jr.] made it in and I am hoping to do the same this year. Once we accomplish our first goal, we will try and learn some things which will help us for the Coca-Cola 600. Since we cannot test, I am going into this weekend trying to learn as much as I can that will transfer to next weekend."